job_112712c: Mechanical Engineer Intern, Alion Inc (Richmond, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 18:20:31 -0800

Mechanical Engineer - INTERN

About Us
Alion, Inc. is a venture backed startup
developing technologies and products for the
utility-scale solar power industry. Our
innovative engineering and technology teams,
coupled with our extremely cost-effective designs
for solar power plants, allow us to provide
clean, inexpensive, renewable energy solutions
that will change how the industrial solar game is
played. We are passionate about deploying solar
technologies at massive scale. We think it’s a
path to building successful businesses, and we
believe we will make a significant contribution
to solving the world’s energy challenges.

Description & Responsibilities
Alion is searching for a mechanical engineer
intern with a strong background in theory, and a
passion for reducing that theory to practice. The
intern will be responsible for participating
fully with the Design Group to generate,
evaluate, build, and test concepts for Alion’s
integrated solar power plants. The ideal
candidate will have experience with
electromechanical system design, large scale
prototype fabrication, and both quantitative and
qualitative test and analysis. They will
contribute to ongoing projects, as well as launch
and lead projects of their own.

Interns Will
- Develop and build solutions to
mechanical engineering challenges currently facing the design group.
- Research existing technologies for
implementation in integrated electromechanical systems.
- Design and build prototypes using
in-house machine shop to iteratively arrive at solutions.
- Develop and implement short and long cycle experiments.
- Analyze experimental results, draw
conclusions, and present results and recommendations to the team.

Required Experience & Skills
- Hands-on, mechanical prototyping with
manual shop equipment, and hand tools.
- Familiarity and enthusiasm for
Solidworks; parts, assemblies, and drawings.
- Excellent written and visual presentation/communication skills.
- Insightful analytic abilities – able
to sort through disparate data, draw conclusions,
and incorporate these new ideas into the next build.
- Demonstrated experience with applied
mechanical design and/or mechatronics.
- Familiarity with embedded systems and C.
- Willingness to start over and build it again.

Highly Desired
- Experience programming and operating CNC Mill and plasma cutter.
- Fluent writing C code for embedded applications.
- Committed hacker with a history of
building, modifying, and upgrading electro mechanical systems.
- An eye for excellence.
- A knack for simplicity.

Education
- BA/BS/MS degree or current applicable
coursework towards degree program.

Logistics
- Minimum 12 week engagement, 20 – 40 hours/week.
- Concurrent academic work is acceptable.

If your experience and skills meet or exceed our
requirements, please e-mail your resume in Word
format to: <mailto:jobs_at_alion.co>jobs_at_alion.co.
Please also include a portfolio (<5MB) showing
some of your work. Portfolio can include CAD and
engineering analysis. Team projects are ok, just
let us know what your contribution was.

Please include job code in the subject line: Mechanical Engineer Intern-AF