job_042313a: Mechanical Engineer - Design Group, Alion Energy (Richmond, California)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 13:43:26 -0700

Mechanical Engineer – Design Group

About Alion Energy
Alion Energy is a venture backed startup
developing technologies and products for the
utility-scale solar power industry. Our
innovative engineering and technology teams,
coupled with our extremely cost-effective designs
for solar power plants, allow us to provide
clean, inexpensive, renewable energy solutions
that will change how the industrial solar game is
played. We are passionate about deploying solar
technologies at massive scale. We think it’s a
path to building successful businesses, and we
believe we will make a significant contribution
to solving the world’s energy challenges.

Description
Alion Energy is searching for a mechanical
engineer with a strong background in theory, and
a passion for reducing that theory to practice.
The ideal candidate will be a hands-on engineer,
and have thorough experience with
electromechanical system design, large scale
prototype fabrication, and both quantitative and
qualitative test and analysis. Undaunted by
multi-horsepower, multi-ton, electromechanical system design? Give us a call.

Responsibilities
- Design and testing of electromechanical solar power plant equipment.
- Design and build prototypes using in-house
machine shop to iteratively generate and refine solutions.
- Work with vendors to build pre-production and
production electromechanical systems.
- Develop experiments, analyze results, draw conclusions, design from there.

Required Experience & Skills
- 3 to 5 Years Mechanical Engineering Design.
- Hands-on, mechanical prototyping with manual
shop equipment at large scale (Projects >500 lbs.).
- Expert Solidworks; parts, assemblies, and drawings.
- Excellent written and visual presentation/communication skills.
- Insightful analytic abilities – able to rapidly
sort through disparate data, draw conclusions,
and incorporate these new ideas into the next build.
- Willingness to start over and build it again.

Highly Desired
- Experience programming and operating CNC Mill and plasma cutter.
- Proficiency with industrial automation equipment, PLCs, and Ladder Logic.
- Committed hacker with a history of building,
modifying, and upgrading electromechanical systems.
- An eye for excellence.
- A knack for simplicity.

Education
- BS/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.

Logistics
- Alion Energy is located in Richmond California.
- We provide a comprehensive benefits package
including: PTO, Paid Holidays, Medical, Dental,
Vision, 401(k) and Competitive Salary.
- If your experience and skills meet or exceed
our requirements, please e-mail your resume in
Word format to:
<mailto:designjobs_at_alionenergy.com>designjobs_at_alionenergy.com.
Please also include a portfolio (<5MB) showing
some of your work. Portfolio can include CAD and
engineering analysis. Team projects are ok - be
clear what your contribution was.
- Please include job code in the subject line: ME-AF

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://design.stanford.edu/archive/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.