job_070915a: Visual Design Lead, Carbon3D (Redwood City, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 16:18:47 -0700

Working at the intersection of hardware, software
and molecular science, we are committed to
delivering on the promise of 3D printing,
enabling commercial customers to go beyond basic
prototyping to 3D manufacturing. Our mission is
to modernize on-demand manufacturing by
delivering a transformational advance in 3D hardware, software, and resins. Â

You will be joining a diverse team with a vibrant
culture, where team success is as important as
celebrating individual contributions. Help us
change the world and we will help you change yours.

Position Summary
Carbon3D is looking for a talented, versatile
designer to spearhead our visual design efforts.
We’re ramping our organization to introduce our
first product to market later this year, and the
scope for design is huge. The designer will
partner across functional groups to deliver a
seamless product and brand experience for our
customers. In this role, you will be responsible
for the visual design for our product interfaces
and key customer experience touch points –
ecommerce, training and sales materials. You’ll
also provide design guidance to our agency
partners for marketing and sales materials,
bringing continuity to the customer experience.Â

About you:
Your center of gravity is user interface design.
You’ve delivered everything from marketing
sites to complex product interfaces. You are
passionate about beautiful experiences that meet
user needs and that make life better. You know
that done is better than perfect.Â

Craft gets you up in the morning. You are a
master of design tools and work in whatever
medium is most helpful to the task. In this role,
you’ll get to stretch those skills as you
assist with video, photography, environmental
design and ecommerce. Carbon3D is a small, but
rapidly growing company. You’re comfortable
being the go-to person for the major and the mundane design requests.Â

You’ve demonstrated the ability to adeptly
build relationships and to explain the meaning
behind design decisions. You can discuss design
trade-offs with engineers and product managers.
You are technically proficient enough so that you
understand front-end complexity and interaction
design – you might even have front-end
development skkills in your tool belt. Huge bonus
points if you have motion design and CG experience.Â

Key Responsibilities
Partner with Product Management, Engineering, and
Marketing to deliver product and brand
experience. Guide external design firms and
agencies to ensure brand consistency.

Responsible for visual design across the customer journey:
• Browser-based interface for printing & administration
• On-device interface
• eCommerce for selling resins and printer accessories
• <Pre-sales and training web modules
• Signage and interior design
• Presentation suupport

Provide design oversight and direction to external partners:
• Brand system & guidelines
• Product packaging
•< Website
• Event installations and materials
•> Offline and online marketing and sales collateral
• Product photographyÂ
• Brand and product-focused videos
• Documentary-style content telling our user stories
• Training videos
• Product industrial design

SKILLS / EXPERIENCE

Portfolio that reflects the breadth of work and
quality required ­ product interfaces, web and marketing conttent
Mastery of design tools
Experience as a lead designer at a world-class design agency or startup
Experience in a technology B2B context a plus
Experience prototyping interaction models a plus
(eg. paper-based, fireworks, HTML/CSS, omnigraffle, motion GFX prototypes…etc.)

Carbon3D team members enjoyy working in a newly
renovated R&D facility a short walk from the
Redwood City CalTrain station and local
restaurants. Our tight-knit team works
collaboratively in our open space and in our
labs, learns together through our
entrepreneurship guest speaker series, and bonds
together through weekly-catered meals, offsite
events and activities. We also provide complete
benefits and competitive compensation including equity ownership.

Email: <mailto:Careers_at_carbon3d.com>Careers_at_carbon3d.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.