job_011116e: Senior Electrical Engineer, Mindtribe, San Francisco CA

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 15:51:34 -0800

I'm Adam, an electrical engineering manager at Mindtribe. Let me tell
you about what we do, and why I love to work here. Mindtribe is a
product development consultancy: a tightly integrated team of
electrical, mechanical and firmware engineers developing innovative
technology products. At the core of Mindtribe's method is a
change-tolerant development process. Not only are our teams accepting
of new inputs, we actively seek them: technology-related learnings,
what the competition is doing, changing business needs, and most
importantly, what customers want. Clients come to Mindtribe wanting
to be technology leaders, and they look to us to help them define,
design and build their next big thing. We are looking for electrical
engineers who have the right skills, who are excited about what we're
doing and how we're doing it, who will mesh well with our team, and
who are ready to grow with us. Is this you? You know it is when you
love the same things about your work as we do. Here is what I love
about working at Mindtribe.

I love working in a collaborative environment with other badass engineers.

"Hey, come take a look at this. What do you think?" I'm working on a
schematic for a prototype of a tiny new product. The switching power
supply is millimeters away from the RF transceiver. It's going to be
a sensitive layout, and proper bypassing and optimized routing will
be key to reducing coupling from the regulator into the RF receiver.
I can rely on my coworkers for clever ideas, design reviews, and
troubleshooting support when I need it. And they rely on me.

I love challenging electrical engineering problems.

I'm working on an inductive charger for a medical device. If the
firmware ever locks up, even during development, the primary coil
might be physically destroyed by an over-current condition. I need to
design a robust mechanism that detects the dangerous condition, and
instantly overrides the microcontroller's MOSFET gate control signal
without interfering with the rest of the system.

I love constantly learning.

Henry Ott's Electromagnetic Compatibility sits on a desk. I open up
to shielding techniques. "This is good stuff" I say, "I'm going to
read it cover to cover." My coworkers are skeptical. I'm giving it a
try anyway, because it's something I don't know much about.

I love wearing more than one engineering hat.

I pop open SolidWorks. I open the solid model of the product for
which I'm designing the electrical system. "Got a sec to look at
this?" The lead ME on the project pulls his chair next to mine. We're
looking at how to add a cable shield connection across a very small
and physically constrained interposer board with a USB micro-b connector.

I don't love upside-down ground symbols.

I open a reference schematic from a vendor. I cringe because there
are ground symbols facing sideways. At least they aren't upside-down,
I think to myself. I love a schematic that tells you what it does.

I love working with engineers who are passionate about their work.

We're at our weekly happy hour. We've been having an intense
45-minute discussion, napkin sketches and all, about how a higher
F-stop in a camera increases depth of field.

I love that my work is not the only important thing in my life.

I race a little sailing dinghy with around San Francisco Bay with my
wife. I play music in a band. I routinely explore the vast culinary
landscape of San Francisco. My job is not my life, but one makes the
other even better. Do you love the same things I do? If so, send us
an email at <mailto:mtjobs_at_mindtribe.com>mtjobs_at_mindtribe.com to tell
us about yourself, and why you'd be excited to do what we do. We're
looking for senior EE's, which means that your career has included
most of these things. You've worked for more than a few years on
designing electronics for embedded systems. You've architected
systems with microcontrollers and sensors. You've overseen
multi-layer board layout. You've led teams of electrical designers.
I'm eager to hear from you.

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.