job_030416a: Strategic Innovation Intern, Autodesk (San Francisco, California)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 11:30:38 -0800

Intern Strategic Innovation (16WD20139)

Come join a small multi-disciplinary team of
designers, engineers, filmmakers, artists and
architects exploring what's important and
interesting in the future of conceptualization,
design, and the making of things.

The Strategic Innovation team speculates around
how technological progress will affect the way in
which people interact with products, machines and
environments, and create prototypes of the
application of these technologies. Our main areas
of focus at the moment are Robotics, Internet of
Things, and Machine Learning, in relation to
advanced manufacturing processes, but we also
expand the field of view to general societal
issues like climate change, sea-level rise, and the future of work.

We work out of the incredible creative workshop
facility at Pier 9 in San Francisco, with a new
lab equipped with a variety of industrial robot
arms, a motion capture system, drones, boats, an
underwater ROV, a kick-ass A/V system, and a
beautiful view of the San Francisco Bay.

We are looking for roboticists, engineers,
architects, designers, storytellers, computer
scientists and mathematicians to join us this
summer but we know many awesome and qualified
people do not always fit into neat categories so
this opening is for you wildcards!

About you:
- Work well in a team – mutual trust,
communication, and following through on commitments
- Are a motivated self-starter
- Can tell us about something you designed or
made that was not a class assignment
- Have previous experience with fabrication,
coding, blockchain, sensors, animation, motion
capture, virtual/augmented reality, or robotics

Some of our projects are:
-Advanced robotic fabrication: metal 3D printing and robotic welding
- Real time robot control: motion capture and
sensor data as a feedback loop for robot control
- Internet of Things: instrumenting the lab with
sensors, using that data in other projects
- Machine Learning: especially applied to robot control
- Strategic futures: using science fiction
storytelling in a variety of media to speculate
on what the future could look like for designers,
engineers, architects, and humanity in general
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student in an
accredited program in the United States with at
least one academic term to complete post
internship to be eligible for internship participation
- We have plenty to keep us occupied all summer
but we always welcome fresh ideas too!

If you are interested apply and include a short
explanation of why you want to join the team,
which projects interest you, and show us some of
your previous work – a portfolio, website,
vimeo/youtube channel, podcast, blog, github account, etc.

To apply please visit:
https://autodesk.taleo.net/careersection/adsk_cmp/jobdetail.ftl?job=16WD20139

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.