job_102416b: Equipment and Automation Engineer, Sila Nanotechnologies (Alameda, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 12:36:52 -0700

Sila Nanotechnologies is working to revolutionize
energy storage by developing next-generation
Li-ion technologies that increase energy density
and reduce the cost of storage. We’re seeking
an experienced, self-sufficient, fearlessly
hands-on Senior Equipment and Automation Engineer
with an aptitude for learning new things and
taking projects across the finish line. This
position will focus on designing, procuring, and
commissioning successive generations of
production machines for battery materials synthesis.

At Sila, we handle the full gamut of machine
development, including: top-level conception,
detailed mechanical design, specifying and
sourcing sensors and actuators, writing PLC and
machine control code, machine construction and
qualification, and ongoing upgrades. As we scale,
we’re increasingly driven by strong, successful
engagement with subcontractors. The ideal
candidate will have experience in most or all of these areas.

JOB RESPONSIBILITIES

Design subsystems and overall machines for
production-scale synthesis tools. This includes
mechanical, electronic, and software components.
Turn these designs into hardware and code, either
in-house or with outside vendors.
Deploy and bring online your (and others’) hardware, including facilities.
Engage successfully with a range of different
outside vendors, contractors, and tradespeople.
Develop meaningful, robust unit tests for
hardware. Convey results to others at Sila.
Turn requests from other members of the organization into executable designs.
Gather feedback from end-users of your work and
distill into actionable modifications. Iterate.
Debug hardware and equipment-driving software throughout the company.

REQUIREMENTS

B.S. in engineering (M.S. preferred)
Ridiculously proficiency at designing and generating mechanical parts
Basic electronics and wiring practices knowledge
(analog signals, AC and DC power fundamentals,
control wiring best practices, and diagnostic tools)
Programming experience and aptitude
CAD expertise (SolidWorks preferred)
Experience generating drawings and working with fabricators to get parts built
Proficiency with manual fabrication and basic machine shop tools
Minimum of 4-5 years of work experience (or 2-3 for candidates with an M.S.)

GOOD TO HAVE

Demonstrated experience designing and maintaining
robust, reliable hardware that others depend on
Prior machine design projects, encompassing mechanical and electronic systems
Vacuum, semiconductor, or chemical processing experience
Experience with field-deployed electronics, sensors, and actuators
.NET development expertise
Industrial automation / PLC programming (IEC61131 languages) experience
Experience with materials science, chemicals, PV,
semiconductors, or batteries is a plus

ABOUT SILA

We design and produce engineered materials that
dramatically increase the energy density of
rechargeable Li-ion batteries. Our products
enable smaller, lighter, longer lasting
electronic devices and unlock mass adoption of
affordable, long-range electric vehicles. Our
developments represent the next commercial
breakthrough in battery science - only the fifth
in over 150 years of battery history.

Sila was founded in 2011 and is based in Alameda,
CA. Our founders are two early Tesla Motors
battery engineers and a Professor of Materials
Science at Georgia Tech. We’re backed by Tier 1
venture capital firms, led by Sutter Hill
Ventures, Matrix Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, and In-Q-Tel.

Our company culture is built on personal growth,
mutual trust, inclusiveness, and safety. We are
dedicated to building a world-class materials
company, where our team is close, debates are
data-driven, and our office puppies are named Angstrom, Lumen, and Gadget.

Apply online at <http://www.silanano.com/careers>www.silanano.com/careers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.