job_012517b: Interaction Designer, Medic Mobile (Flexible location)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 13:30:47 -0800

Interaction Designer

Medic Mobile is a nonprofit technology company that was founded in
2010 to improve health in underserved communities. Our organization
builds mobile and web applications for community health workers
(CHWs), health system managers, and decision-makers. We see
healthcare service delivery gaps through the eyes of our users and
their patients, and co-design improved workflows and systems with
local implementing partners. Medic Mobile has worked with over 60
partners across 23 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the
US. Based in San Francisco with regional offices in Africa and Asia,
our technology supports over 14,000 frontline health workers and is
helping improve healthcare delivery for over 8 million people.

Job Description

Position: Interaction designer
Type of employment: Full-time
Location: Flexible. Medic has offices in San Francisco, Nairobi, and
Kathmandu, and 30% of our teammates work remotely.

As Medic's primary interaction designer, you will help bring the
insights from our human-centered design field work into an intuitive
mobile web interface. You will work in a collaborative environment to
create visual interactive prototypes for usability testing and for
our developers to implement. You will help conduct and process user
feedback into features and interfaces that empower community health
workers through mobile technology.

At Medic, creative solutions to complex problems are the norm. We
work in environments with extreme constraints and are inspired by how
technology can bridge gaps and reinvent workflows. We're also a team
of realists and shape our tools based on what is most useful and
sustainable for our users and partners. Some of our users have never
used a touchscreen before; others have several of their own devices.
Many of our users work in low-connectivity environments. As an
interaction designer, you'll be inspired to create intuitive
interfaces to help health workers feel supported, informed, and
connected to their peers, managers, and patients.

You'll be joining a distributed product team and should be
comfortable working independently and collaborating in virtual space.
We have service designers in Nairobi and Kathmandu to be close to our
partners and users, product managers in San Francisco and Toronto,
and developers in many time zones to provide round-the-clock support.
As interaction designer, you will report to Medic's Chief Design
Officer based in San Francisco.

Essential Qualifications

As our interaction designer, you:

Have solid understanding of Human-Centered Design (HCD) principles
Are able to effectively apply feedback and insights generated from
our HCD process into a mobile web application
Have a strong visual portfolio that demonstrates understanding of
typography for mobile web applications
Have prior experience working on a product team
Are familiar with Sketch, Zeplin, Invision and photo editing software
Have a strong understanding of web concepts and technologies: HTML,
CSS, responsive design
Are familiar with Material design standards and best practices
Are reliable, self-directed and resourceful
Can take initiative and work independently
Are interested and able to work in a multi-cultural, distributed, and
international team setting. Flexibility to take calls outside of
standard business hours is essential to working effectively across time zones.
Are willing to travel internationally ~15% and stay in simple
accommodations in rural and urban settings in Africa and Asia
Have strong analysis and decision making skills
Have a desire to make an impact in global health

Nice-to-haves

It'd be great if you also:

Are familiar with GitHub version control
Have experience designing or working in the social impact sector or
with marginalized communities, particularly in rural or low-tech settings

Please send the following to
<mailto:jobs_at_medicmobile.org>jobs_at_medicmobile.org with the subject
line "Interaction Designer":

Visual portfolio
CV
Cover letter letting us know why you want to work with us

We'll be conducting interviews on a rolling basis. The ideal start
date is March 1st, but we can be flexible for the right candidate.
Medic offers a competitive non-profit salary with healthcare benefits and 401k.

--
P.S. Join our community. Sign up for Medic Mobile's
<http://medicmobile.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e5b07d2afb4b273eaff8e3c53&id=a3129fc799&e=c511575255>newsletter.
[]
Dianna Kane | Chief Design Officer
<http://www.medicmobile.org/>Medic Mobile
<http://www.twitter.com/medic>_at_M<http://www.twitter.com/medic>edic
<https://www.facebook.com/MedicMobile>Facebook _at_diannakane
Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting.  Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.
Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/
Note:  The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists:  Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc.  Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings.  Please excuse the duplication.  Thank you.