job_121317a: Quantitative Analyst, Alphataraxia (Los Angeles, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 07:02:29 -0800

Alphataraxia Management (ATX) is a fast-growing
investment management group with offices in both
Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. We focus on
understanding and predicting outcomes on
electricity grids, where our positions can have a
significant impact on real-world outcomes:
helping to stabilize energy prices and encourage
the adoption of renewables. We operate with a
start-up model, using small teams and few layers
of management to rapidly identify, understand,
and capitalize on opportunities where rigorous
analysis of big data can provide an edge.

We are looking for hard-working candidates with
genuine enthusiasm for solving complex problems
to join ATX as full-time Analysts in our Los
Angeles office. Applicants who are comfortable
with numbers and quantitative analysis --
regardless of specific major (sciences,
engineering, humanities, or economics) -- will
thrive in our information-rich environment. Our
process involves managing massive amounts of
information to come to targeted conclusions about
our markets. Analysts can expect intellectual
challenges that derive from poorly understood
dynamics in our target markets, and they will be
critical in scaling the firm's understanding of
how these markets "really work." A successful
analyst will begin by refining existing
investment strategies and will grow to develop new strategies.

Candidates should be highly quantitative, have a
strong academic record, have excellent
communication skills, and be team-players. We do
a lot of coding and playing with data, but
applicants don't need extensive coding
experience, just a desire to learn -- we'll teach
you. Unlike larger banks and commodity trading
shops, we operate in smaller groups with much
less specialized roles. We offer dramatically
higher rates-of-learning than are found in more
traditional or specialized roles. Analysts will
be given a high level of responsibility and
freedom as well as above-market compensation.

Our process is like encountering real-world
problem sets: difficulty scales over time,
mastered complexity offers a tremendous sense of
accomplishment, and feedback comes in the form of
investment returns. We welcome applications from
motivated graduating seniors or Master's students who want in on the action.

The application deadline for this position will
be midnight on January 27th, 2018. We will be
attending the Stanford Engineering Opportunity
Job Fair that same day and will have first round interviews shortly thereafter.

Please apply online using the Stanford Handshake career website:

QUANTITATIVE ANALYST
(<https://stanford.joinhandshake.com/jobs/1191012>https://stanford.joinhandshake.com/jobs/1191012)

If you have any questions, please feel free to
contact Fiona Majeau (B.S. ME, 2015; M.S. ME,
2017) at
<mailto:fiona_at_alphataraxia.com>fiona_at_alphataraxia.com
or the Managing Director, Peter Zhang, at
<mailto:pz_at_alphataraxia.com>pz_at_alphataraxia.com.

Please note that we can currently only hire US
citizens or permanent residents; we are unable to sponsor H-1B applications.

Alphataraxia Management agrees with Stanford's employer recruiting guidelines.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.