job_011618a: Prototype Engineer, Bolt (San Francisco, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 05:25:42 -0800

PROTOTYPE ENGINEER - San Francisco, CA

Bolt is seeking an exceptional individual to join
our team. As a part of our engineering team, you
will be focused on helping our 50+ portfolio
companies design and manufacture product
prototypes. This is a full time role at our location in San Francisco.

Bolt is a dynamic environment where it's not
unusual to work on many different products in a
given day. Our work covers the entire product
development process including conceptual
exploration, hands-on prototyping, engineering
analysis, and working with contract manufacturers.

Candidates must thrive in the high-caliber
venture community and, like the rest of our team, be highly autonomous.

ABOUT BOLT

Bolt is a venture capital firm forging a new
model of seed-stage investing focused on startups
at the intersection of hardware and software.
Each investment we make is propelled by expert
day-to-day support that helps bring hardware
products to market faster and with less capital.
Bolt's full-stack product engineering team and
multi-million dollar prototyping shops provide
the framework for our value-added investment
platform that enables hardware entrepreneurs to succeed.

RESPONSIBILITIES

• Collaborate with a world-class team of
engineers across many ddisciplines and industries
• Assist porttfolio companies in designing and
building product prototypes. Some days this could be
• Designing an enclosure for a consumer device in
CAD and 3D-printing parts for an assembly fit check
• Helping an engineer from a portfoliio company
with training and fixturing on a CNC milling machine
• Researching a new sensor technology and evaluationn platforms
• Iterating on circuit board placement with a
mechanical engineer and industrial designer
• Reviewing beta testing goals to guide engineering prriorities
• Maintain Bolt's SF-bassed prototyping facility
(including machine shop, electronics lab, and
rapid prototyping equipment) - ensuring machines
are functioning as required and appropriate
consumable material and hardware is fully stocked
• Define and implement procedures for machiine training and safety
• Oversee day to dday shop tool and space usage

REQUIREMENTS

• Strong technical background including a BS in
Mechanical Enginneering, Electrical Engineering, or relevant technical degree
• At least 1 year of hands-on shop experience
(prrototype engineer, machinist, shop TA)
• PProficiency with prototyping/machine shop
equipment - mill, lathe, laser cutter, 3D printer, etc
• Mechanical CAD expperience (especially w/ Solidworks and Inventor)
• Experience with computer-aided machining - (ideally HSMworks)
• Familiarity with EE lab equipment - solderring,
scopes, power supplies, logic analysers, etc
• Nice-to-have:
• EE design expperience - schematic capture and
PCB layout (especially w/ Altium or Eagle)
• Experience with mechanical and environnmental reliability test equipment
• Expeerience with regulatory and safety testing (FCC, UL, etc)

PERKS

• Immersed at the forefronnt of hardware and connected device startups
* 24x7 access to a world-class prototyping shop
• Flexible vacation policy
• Medical and dental
• 401(k) with employerr matching

CONTACT
Tyler Mincey
<mailto:tyler_at_bolt.io>tyler_at_bolt.io