job_020411b: Experienced Product Designer / Engineer, inch, inc. (Brooklyn NY)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 10:06:52 -0800

Job Details

Company: inch, inc. (Product Development Consultants)
Location: US ­ Brooklyn, New York
Job Level: Mid-Level Staff
Field: Industrial Design
Job Functions: 3D Modeling & CAD, Branding & Corporate Identity,
Design, Design for Environmental Impact, Engineering, Packaging,
Product Development, Research, User Experience

Description

We’re looking for a smart, worldly, experienced Designer; who also has
a talent for engineering and building things that work.

We are also accepting internship applications for 2011. You need to be
an engineer that can design, or a designer with engineering skills.

Inch is a clever, small and scrappy engineering and product
development consultancy founded in 1990. We’re interested in more than
just making things that work well and look good. We want to improve
nutrition, expose children to great books, eliminate waste and
consistently do some good. We work with clients that we respect, and
we create products that we believe in.

We have developed a wide range of products, including a Bluetooth
Thermometer, CD jewel box (Sony), wing de-icing systems (Boeing), high
end audio speakers (Anthony Gallo Acoustics), dental syringes (Johnson
& Johnson), LED museum lighting fixtures that use very little
electricity (LSI), dispensers/packages for cosmetics (Revlon), and
glass bathroom doors that turn opaque (Bar89).

Our Bluetooth thermometer just won a Best of CES 2011 award. We have
twice won an annual I.D. magazine gold award and received a Business
Week IDEA award. Inch has been featured in: The New York Times, Inc.
Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, and at the London Design Museum.

What we’re looking for:

We’re looking for an experienced designer/engineer that has worked at
a product design consultancy for 2 years or longer. We want problem
solvers, who have a talent for invention, and are experienced at
building working devices, models, or contraptions. You’ll need to have
a lot of patience, and can handle starting over several times to
develop a design that’s a little better than iteration number 3. You
also have to like working hard ­ sometimes projects need to go very
fast.

You need to be an artist and an engineer. Most of the products we make
have to do much more than just work ­ they have to look elegant, or
tough, or fun -- and always well designed.

We are looking for people that understand the physics of the problems
they are solving, and have broken enough things to have good intuition
on what’s going to go wrong on a design, and how to fix it. You need
to have at least a Bachelor’s degree from a great engineering school,
and be able to demonstrate sensitivity to the practicalities of making
a product that people love to use. We want people that are experienced
in developing, prototyping and moving a product into manufacturing
with a thorough documentation package. If you’re talented, and have
experience working as part of a development team on technical products
with appearance requirements, we’d like to meet.

Specific Skills

You need to be very good at SolidWorks and eager to become great. You
should have experience designing complex parts for injection molding.
Rhino, Illustrator, and Photoshop skills are useful. You will also
need to be good at sketching by hand. These don’t have to be beautiful
sketches, just quick and clear so that everyone can understand and
react to your ideas.

You’ve got to have a vision and be able to respectfully disagree when
you see things differently than everyone else. But you also need to be
able to recognize when your concept isn’t the one that we’re moving
forward with and be able to get (nearly) 100 percent behind the new
direction. You have to be a great teammate, someone who helps everyone
get stronger, and more communicative.

If you’re not a perfect match, but you’ve got 2 or more years of
fulltime design work experience, and you’re certain you would become
indispensable in a few months, send an email and convince us.

Apply Via Email

info_at_inch-inc.com

Submission Details

Send images, drawings and anecdotes to show us that you have the
talents, personality and experience that we’ve described. Send email
with PDF attachments only, or a link to a website. Do not mail
anything to us, and please don’t call.

Thank you. We’re looking forward to learning more about you.

NOTE:
Candidates who are not US citizens or permanent residents need to have
authorization to work in the US in order to apply.

inch
55 Washington Street, suite 654
Brooklyn NY 11201

http://www.inchnyc.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://design.stanford.edu/archive/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.