job_062911a: Research Scientist / MEMS Eng, Avago Technologies (San Jose CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 19:08:21 -0700

Research Scientist / MEMS Engineer

A small group of scientists and engineers at Avago are working on ideas to
take to the market place that use our unique and proprietary FBAR process
integrated with our in-house CMOS or Bipolar Line. We have proven that we
can integrate either CMOS or Bipolar into the silicon lid of the FBAR
Filter and now are looking at ways to exploit this unique device into new
markets. We have demonstrated some of the world's smallest Oscillators
using this device (FMOS) and have also demonstrated disruptive performance
(phase noise and jitter for VCO and oscillator applications). Short term
projects include commercialization of FMOS into high-end VCOs.
Intermediate and long term products are to be determined. We are looking
for a mature candidate with a proven track record of R&D activity, a
willingness to learn and ability to think creatively - especially in terms
of new product definition. And, the applicant must have the ability,
skill, knowledge and focus to convert ideas into demonstrators.

Description

. Research Scientist/Engineer: Initiates the design, development,
execution and implementation of scientific research projects.
. Investigates the feasibility of applying scientific principles and
concepts to potential inventions and products.
. Plans and executes laboratory research. Maintains substantial
knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories, and may contribute
to scientific literature and conferences.
. May participate in development of patent applications.
. May coordinate interdepartmental activities and research efforts.

Qualifications
. Knowledge: A seasoned, experienced professional with a full
understanding of area of specialization; resolves a wide range of issues
in creative ways. This job is the fully qualified, career-oriented,
journey-level position.
. Job Complexity: Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis
of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrates good
judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
Networks with senior internal and external personnel in own area of
expertise.
. Supervision: Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day
work, general instructions on new assignments.
. Experience: Typically requires a minimum of 5 years of related
experience.

Background
. PhD in EE, ME, Materials Science, Physics, MEMS
. Familiarity/expertise/exposure to engineering fundamentals to
support core job functions.
. Critical to have understanding of processing techniques/concepts
for silicon based MEMS devices and Design.
. Highly desired experience in Acoustic Resonator Devices, such as
SMR-BAW, FBAR, ALN Contour Mode Devices, or Electrostatic Resonators.
. Highly desired business insight and creative ideas for
commercialization
. Proficient in CAD Layout, MATLAB or equivalent, Data Analysis &
Visualization (e.g. JMP)
. Track record of self-motivated learning.
. Strong teamwork skills.
. Demonstrated ability to deliver improvements within a team
environment.

Prefer for mid career experience in MEMs, but new college graduates
welcomed to apply

Please apply to www.avagotech.com requisition # 110233 - R&D Engineer
Research 3
Or to dan.gieber_at_avagotech.com

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at
http://design.stanford.edu/archive/ (the archive is not working
right now - we hope to have it fixed soon)

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.