job_052512a: Hardgoods Electronic Engineer, Specialized Bicycle Components (Morgan Hill, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 12:10:23 -0700

TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION PLEASE
<http://tbe.taleo.net/NA1/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=SPECIALIZED&cws=1&rid=328>Click
Here

POSITION: Hardgoods Electronic Engineer
REPORTS TO Hardgoods Product Manager
SUMMARY
We are looking for a talented individual who can design products that
will differentiate our Hardgoods brand the market. Specialized is the
most innovative cycling brand on the planet and this position will
give you the opportunity to be a member of the Hardgoods engineering
team working with designers, product managers, test labs and
factories. Good verbal and written communication skills are very
important working in our fast paced environment. You'll be
responsible for design validation and quality control of electronic
components. You'll need to be able to successfully manage all aspects
of a project in order to turn a concept into a production product.
HOW YOU WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
    * Manage the development of electronic components from the
beginning, validate the design and set up quality control for stable
production
    * Engineer meaningful and innovative products that inspire
cyclists & lead the industry
    * Team collaboration with engineers, product managers, developers
and our quality team
    * Brainstorming new concepts and ideas for our products
    * Attend trade shows for inspiration and to stay current with trends
    * International travel to our factories in Asia
  ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
    * Product Engineering
        * Take responsibility for new projects from concept thru
production and all phases in between.
        * Work closely with our mechanical engineering team and
design team to create innovative new bicycle parts that truly advance
people's ride.
        * Create engineering briefs (requirements) for your new
projects with your team members.
        * Create all needed documentation for new products. Work with
our teams to iterate thru design reviews and manufacturability
feedback to create.
        * Analysis as needed of new designs.
        * Create timelines for your projects and manage development
of projects in order to meet these timelines.
        * Work closely with our factories
    * Product validation/Approval and Quality Control
        * Get prototypes made and into testing phases.
        * Create test plans for all products and be responsible for
making sure all products are completely tested
        * Design and set up test equipment in-house and/or at the factory
        * Iterate products thru design changes until all testing is
passed. We don't expect products to pass the 1st time through the lab
but you've got to make sure the final product is 100% tested and approved.
        * Make sure all documentation is complete for your projects.
        * Make sure products meets all regulations that are required
(e.g. CE, UL etc.)
        * Set up incoming QC and/or end of line control checks at our
factories
        * Be responsible for establishing best in class quality control.
    * Production Readiness
        * Work with factories, manufacturing & quality engineers to
get your products ready for production.
        * Ensure the production method is correct and that the parts
meet our requirements.
        * Conduct pilot runs as needed with factories to prove out
production readiness.
        * Responsible for successful 1st production startup of your
new products.
    * Engineering Team Continuous Improvement
        * Work with engineering team to help improve processes and
make our engineering team stronger.
        * Perform other duties as required.
  EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED
    * Ideal candidate has Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electronic
Engineering with at least 3 years experience.
    * Experience with DC motors, rechargeable batteries and battery
management systems
    * Experience with wireless communication protocols (preferred ANT+)
    * Ability to design, layout and hand build small circuit boards
    * Experience in writing and/or analyzing firmware
    * Some CAD experience beneficial (ProE)
    * Experience working with international cultures and vendors (Asia)
    * Ability to work in a fast paced environment & complete tasks
within product creation timelines.
    * Very good written and verbal English language skills a must
    * Avid cyclist and mechanically skilled

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://design.stanford.edu/archive/

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.