job_060112a: Summer Intern, Product Development & Marketing at Culture Kitchen (SF)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 14:02:31 -0700

About Us
Culture Kitchen is all about spreading culture
through food, and empowering people to learn and
share authentic ethnic cuisine.

We bring people together to learn about different
cultures through the act of cooking. Our main
product is a monthly subscription Culture Kitchen
<http://store.culturekitchen.com/>Kit, every
month featuring a different incredible home
taught Master Cook and their culture. We are a
small incredibly passionate team dedicated to
creating inspiring experiences for the Culture Kitchen community.

We were born out of the Joint Program in Design
and d.school, are backed by
<http://500.co/>500Startups,
<http://designerfund.com/>The Designers Fund,
<http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/seed/press-release.html>SEED,
angel investors and hundreds of passionate
<http://www.facebook.com/culturekitchen>Culture Kitchen community members.
To learn more, check out our website
<http://www.culturekitchensf.com/>www.culturekitchen.com

And read about Culture Kitchen in
<http://www.tastingtable.com/entry_detail/nyc/6637/national/Culture_Kitchen_boxes_give_the_gift_of_global_flavor.htm>Tasting
Table,
<http://www.dailycandy.com/san-francisco/article/127269/Culture-Kitchen-Culinary-Explorer-Kits>Daily
Candy,
<http://www.fastcodesign.com/1664835/stanford-startup-lets-immigrant-cooks-swap-recipes-with-foodies>Fast
Company,
<http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/17/500-startups/>Tech
Crunch, &
<http://www.shareable.net/blog/culture-kitchen-empowering-community-through-food#.Tm-zNjrZ8uU.twitter>Shareable

We’re hiring 1-2 full-time interns!
As an intern at a small startup, you’ll be
expected to get your hands dirty, wear many hats
and hit the ground running. Getting thrown in
the mix has never been so fun – especially when
it’s all about food and people :)
We are currently accepting applications through
Monday, June 11th. A 1 day trial work session
will be part of the application process for
candidates we are seriously considering. This is
a 3 month summer internship Starting in mid
June. Potential for a longer internship if it’s a good fit.

Product Development & Marketing Intern
The majority of your time (~70%) will be spent
working directly with the COO on the product
development of our Culture Kitchen Kits and
bringing them to life. This is a unique
opportunity to translate the incredible in-person
experiences of cooking to an out of the box
experience for a national audience.

Another part of your job (~30%) will be to work
directly with the CEO on our Marketing efforts
such as email marketing, retail store displays,
developing blog content and developing our social
media presence. You’ll be helping to bring all
of our master cooks skills, stories and food to
life for those around the world.

We move fast. Expect to be ready to work quickly and wear many hats.

Role and responsibilities
• Be an active member of the product development
team, participating in team brainstorms, concept
generation, prototyping, and a voracious appetite
for regular reading of related industry publications
• Champion ingredient research, acquisition and
building partnerships with suppliers and retailers
• Lead kit fulfillment focused on efficiency and
designing best practices for the fulfillment process
• Have great story telling capabilities with a
focus on brevity to reach even those with a short attention span
• Interest in social media analytics and
developing platforms for crowdsourced curation.
• Have an avid appetite for authentic ethnic
cuisine and be ready to eat incredible food that’s often around the office

To be considered, you’ll have/be,
• Have completed or in the process of completing
your undergraduate degree with minimum of 6 quarters under your belt.
• Have keen attention to detail, ideally with
prototyping experience and a great respect for
craft while still being able to work quickly.
Strong preference given to those who have
experience working with their hands having
studied product design, engineering, architecture
or art. Bonus with additional experience in or
studying journalism, writing or marketing.
• Past experience in marketing platforms or the
ability to quickly learn how to create and alter
templates for Wordpress, Mailchimp and Facebook.
• Basic abilities in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe InDesign and Keynote are a plus.
• Excellent time management and organization
skills in helping to coordinate in-house fulfillment initiatives
• Experience working on teams and excited about
working in an office environment where you can
maintain a respectful level of professionalism
while still having fun. Work hard, laugh a lot and enjoy a good meal.
• An interest and practice in, cooking, exploring
other cultures, and traveling.

Location
San Francisco (Potrero Hill Neighborhood)

Compensation
Modest stipend

Employment Status
Full time, 30-40 hours per week.

To Apply
Sharp, articulate and thoughtful candidates,
please send an email to
<mailto:jobs_at_culturekitchen.com>jobs_at_culturekitchen.com
answering the following questions and a PDF of
your resume (Word documents will not be accepted).

1) Why are you the perfect fit for this role?
2) What makes you want to join the Culture Kitchen team?
3) What will your unique personality bring to our team dynamics?
4) What’s your favorite type of cuisine and why?

Bonus point for answers displaying passion and descriptive brevity.

Abby Sturges
Culture Kitchen
Cofounder
<mailto:abby_at_culturekitchensf.com>abby_at_culturekitchen.com
415 / 940 3384

<http://store.culturekitchensf.com/>shop
<http://www.facebook.com/culturekitchen>facebook
<http://pinterest.com/culturekitchen/>pinterest
<http://twitter.com/culturekitchSF>twitter

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://design.stanford.edu/archive/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.