job_121412a: Senior / Principal R&D Engineer, Twelve (Menlo Park, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:16:56 -0800

Twelve is aggressively taking on the challenge of mitral valve
disease; a chronic debilitating condition that affects so many of
us. We are well-funded by a strong syndicate of respected venture
capitalists and are a recent spin-out from The Foundry - the premier
medical device incubator with recent success including Ardian
(acquired by Medtronic for ~ $1.3B) and Evalve (acquired by Abbott
for ~$400M). We are looking for an engaged, intellectually curious
and self-directed individual to join our team - we can guarantee a
unique, meaningful culture that we hope translates into a vital and
rewarding work experience.

TITLE: Senior / Principal R&D Engineer

POSITION SUMMARY: Design and develop innovative medical devices in
support of Twelve's strategic plan.

ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Lead the design and development of components of a long-term implant.
* Identify key needs and constraints. Develop product specifications.
* Work individually and with others to design novel
solutions. Evolve concepts into sketches, virtual models, mechanical
breadboards, and rapid prototypes.
* Analyze designs quickly and effectively for performance and feasibility.
* Solve complex problems at the product level.
* Build prototypes in coordination with vendors and in-house capabilities.
* Conduct testing with appropriate methodology and experiment
design. Generate accurate and thorough test protocols and reports.
* Communicate clearly with colleagues to ensure compatibility of
components of the project.
* Transfer prototype builds into production.
* Manage people involved in the project who may or may not be direct reports.
* Plan, schedule, and complete projects in an aggressive manner
consistent with corporate objectives.
* Support animal studies.
* Ensure project documents and processes are complete, current, and
comply with Quality Systems and Regulatory requirements.

JOB REQUIREMENTS:
* Team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
* 8+ years of medical device development experience.
* 5+ years of experience developing Nitinol components.
* BS in Engineering, or other fields with appropriate engineering
course work/experience.
* Proficiency with parametric CAD software such as SolidWorks.
* Knowledge and experience with failure analysis.
* Hands-on prototyping skills.

DESIRED:
* Proven track record in a fast-paced and dynamic R&D environment.
* In-depth knowledge of shaping and processing of Nitinol components.
* Proficiency using FEA software such as Abaqus.
* Experience designing parts for long fatigue life and confirming
with cyclic testing.

For consideration, please send your Resume/CV and cover letter to
teamtwelve_at_thefoundry.com

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://design.stanford.edu/archive/

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.