job_012913d: ME/Product Designer, inch (Product Development Consultants), (Brooklyn, NY)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:16:00 -0800

Mechanical Engineer / Product Designer

Company: inch (Product Development Consultants)
Location: Brooklyn, NY Posted: Jan 29, 2013

Job Description

We’re looking for a smart, experienced (3 - 73
years) Engineer who is brilliant and very
experienced at making things that work
(mechanisms, electro-mechanical systems, MEMS,
injection molded components, composites, CNC
parts, die castings, SLA/FDM/SLS). This engineer
is an expert user of SolidWorks, but also very
hands-on, and knows firsthand what fails.

Inch is a clever, and scrappy engineering and
product development consultancy founded in 1990.
We’re interested in more than just making things
that work well and look good. We want to improve
nutrition, expose children to great books,
eliminate waste and consistently do some good. We
work with clients that we respect, and we create products that we believe in.

We have developed a wide range of products,
including a Bluetooth Thermometer, CD jewel box
(Sony), wing de-icing systems (Boeing), oxygen
generator (Gates Foundation), audio speakers
(Anthony Gallo Acoustics), dental syringes
(Johnson & Johnson), LED museum lighting fixtures
(LSI), dispensers/packages for cosmetics
(Revlon), and PDLC bathroom doors that turn
opaque (Bar89). We are also developing our own products.

Our Bluetooth grilling thermometer is at the
Apple stores, and we won a Best of CES award last
year. Inch has been featured in: The New York
Times, The Wall Street Journal, Inc. Magazine and at the London Design Museum.

What we’re looking for:

We’re looking for an experienced engineer that
has worked at a product design consultancy or
development lab for 3 years or longer. If you
have 10 years of experience, our offer will
reflect that. We want problem solvers, who have a
talent for invention, and are experienced at
building working devices, models, or
contraptions. You’ll need to have a lot of
patience, and can handle starting over several
times to develop a design that’s a little better
than iteration number 3. You also have to like
working hard – sometimes projects need to go very fast.

You need to be an artist and an engineer. Most of
the products we make have to both work great, and
look amazing (elegant, tough, fun, ...).

We are looking for people that understand the
physics of the problems they are solving, and
have broken enough things to have good intuition
on what’s going to go wrong on a design, and how
to fix it. You need to be experienced with
testing and proving that this design is going to
hold up over time. You need to have at least a
Bachelor’s degree, and be able to demonstrate
sensitivity to the practicalities of making a
product that people love to use. For this
position, we are only considering people that are
very experienced in developing, prototyping and
moving a product into manufacturing with a
thorough documentation package. If you’re
talented, and have experience working as part of
a development team on technical products, we’d like to meet.

Application Details

Send images, drawings and anecdotes to show us
that you have the talent, personality and
experience that we’re looking for. Send an email
with PDF attachments, or a link to a website. Please don’t call.

Thank you. We’re looking forward to learning more about you.

<mailto:WorkBeautifully_at_inchnyc.com>WorkBeautifully_at_inchnyc.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://design.stanford.edu/archive/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.