Job 013113a: Production Lead at Nokia (Berkeley, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 06:31:46 -0800

I'm a Design Division alumni, and have been working for earthmine,
inc. for several years. Recently, we were acquired by Nokia, and
tasked with building their global 3D mapping fleet. We need a
Production Lead to help us ramp up to meet our production
goals. Please apply via this link:

<https://navteq.taleo.net/careersection/01/jobdetail.ftl?job=25540&lang=en>https://navteq.taleo.net/careersection/01/jobdetail.ftl?job=25540&lang=en

Thanks,
Michael

Production Lead (Berkeley)

Nokia's Location & Commerce business was created to deliver
differentiated location experiences for mobile products, the
navigation industry, the automotive market and government and
business solutions. Our goal is to bridge the virtual world with the
real world with a portfolio of location content, an intelligent
location platform, and a range of apps and services.

Today people own and use multiple mobile devices. These devices are
getting smarter -- first, because they are increasingly connected to
the cloud, and second because they're becoming sensor-rich. Thus they
know more and more about their surroundings and the activities of
their users. By leveraging our leading position in social location
services and location data, Location & Commerce is set to enable a
complete offering to consumers and B2B customers that reaches across
screens and device types. By complementing hardware, software and
services with "smart" social location data, we can help users
experience the world in a variety of new and better ways.

* 196 countries with maps

* 120M Points of Interest

* 550+ Public Transportation cities

* 38M kms of road powering approximately 175 million navigation-enabled devices

We are currently looking for an Production Lead-REQ# 27691 in Berkeley, CA

SUMMARY:
The Reality Capture and Processing Group, based in Berkeley,
California, is responsible for implementing Nokia's global mobile
mapping fleet. Our technology exists at the interface of the physical
and informational realms, mixing the application of electrical,
mechanical, and embedded systems engineering with software technology
for image processing and internet distribution. Our production
process leverages an excellent network of external suppliers, but
many of our core production activities, including final assembly, are
accomplished internally.

RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Production Lead is responsible for overseeing the in-house
production of the mobile mapping capture rigs, in cooperation with
the Manufacturing Engineer, the engineering design team, and the end
users of the rigs. She or he will manage a team of technicians,
assigning them to tasks to meet a schedule, and expanding the team as
necessary. The Production Lead is also responsible for implementing
inventory control systems, and procuring components in advance of
predicted need.

Important personal attributes include strong organization; an
obsession with process; the ability to be both simultaneously bold
and diplomatic; a preference for leading by example regardless of
whether it means getting one's hands dirty; and taking pleasure in
learning new things.

Key activities will include managing a production team; developing
and implementing processes; applying manufacturing ERP and other
software tools; communicating boldly yet diplomatically to other
internal groups; and driving continuous improvement in quality.

REQUIREMENTS:
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's degree or better in a
related field, and 4-8 years experience.

Key Skills Include-

* Managing production personnel

* Developing and implementing processes related to production and inventory

* A working knowledge of electrical and mechanical engineering

* Manufacturing ERP and other software tools

* Inventory control and predictive purchasing

* Managing relationships with Vendors and Service Providers

* Quality Control and Incoming Inspection

* Maintaining shop facilities

Nice to Have --

* Experience transitioning an operation into Manufacturing ERP

* Working knowledge of Photography and Optics

* Experience with Automotive Systems

* Familiarity with Linux

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://design.stanford.edu/archive/

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.