job_051513a: Machine Shop Manager, Alloy Product Development (San Francisco, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 07:10:23 -0700

Machine Shop Manager / Prototype Builder:
Manage a prototyping shop at a growing San Francisco consultancy and
help bring class-leading products to life.

Alloy Product Development (<http://www.alloypd.com/>Alloy Product
Development Home) is focused on the mechanical engineering of
consumer electronics, household goods, professional equipment, and
medical devices. We regularly demonstrate mechanical designs with
functional prototypes ranging from quick mechanism breadboards to
pre-production check models. To improve speed and quality, you will
bring more prototyping capabilities in-house.

As our first shop manager, you will:
    * Complete the build-out of a 1000+ sq ft prototype shop,
including floor plan, machine/tool selection, ventilation, etc.
    * Order materials and hardware to keep the shop well-stocked.
    * Serve as the in-house expert on all equipment, including a
Tormach PCNC 1100 mill, manual lathe, sheet metal brake, and
eventually, a 3D printer, laser cutter and injection molding machine.
    * Train engineers in the safe use of tools and enforce safety standards.
    * Fabricate simple or time-sensitive parts and manage the
outsourcing of other parts to vendors as appropriate.
    * Work alongside our team of 15+ engineers to assist in the
assembly, refinement and evaluation of prototypes for strength, feel,
noise, and cycle life.
    * Ensure the ongoing organization and operation of a clean, safe
and efficient shop.

Share your positive attitude and strive to deliver exceptional work
every day. Your specific goals will be to:
    * Reduce prototype lead times by ~25%
    * Reduce the time our engineers spend fabricating prototypes by ~50%
    * Improve the quality of our prototypes
    * Maintain our excellent safety record.
    * Desired Skills & Experience

Qualifications:
- 5+ years experience as manager and/or machinist in a professional
machine shop
- Great attention to detail and time management skills
- Ability to work well with small parts
- Knowledge of OSHA safety standards
- Basic CAD modeling and 2D drawings skills, preferably Pro/Engineer (now Creo)

Bonus qualifications include:
- Prior consultancy experience
- Mechatronics/robotics/electronics experience
- Sheet-metal fabrication experience

Compensation:
Competitive salary, insurance benefits, 401k, bonus, profit sharing

To apply:
Send resume, cover letter, and (optional) portfolio to
<mailto:resumes_at_alloypd.com>resumes_at_alloypd.com

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://design.stanford.edu/archive/

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.