job_020414a: Firmware Engineer, MindTribe (San Francisco, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 12:42:33 -0800

>Campus Recruiting 2014 – Firmware Engineer
>
>Now that your college days are winding down,
>you’re probably starting to look for a place to
>land. Unfortunately, so many engineering
>companies want you to be a small cog in a big
>machine. They need people to crunch numbers,
>write reports, make incremental improvements.
>But you don’t want to be pigeonholed or to spend
>every day working on things that just aren’t that interesting.
>
>Hey, that group project you worked on was a lot
>of fun. It was exciting to be part of a team, to
>build something real. Or maybe you enjoyed
>messing around with that Arduino board or
>programming a robot for your mechatronics class.
>Why can’t someone just pay you to do more of that?
>
>We invite you to take a peek inside the door at MindTribe.
>
>Who We Are
>
>MindTribe provides product development and
>engineering services to clients. In other words,
>companies hire us to build their products for
>them, typically hardware that requires
>electrical, mechanical, and firmware components.
>Fundamentally, we all love to build things, and
>we focus on projects that are interesting, challenging, and new.
>
>Our clients span a range of industries from
>consumer electronics to medical devices,
>automotive, and robotics. We’ve worked with
>established companies like BMW and Apple, as
>well as startups developing products like the
>Flip Mino camcorder, the Jawbone headset, and
>the Tesla Roadster (back when Tesla was a wee 40-person company).
>
>A Day In The Life
>
>Client programs are similar in many ways to
>extended project classes – we work in close-knit
>teams of typically 2 – 5 engineers to bring something new into the world.
>
>Day-to-day, here are some examples of things
>that make our firmware engineers happy:
>
>Programming on 5 different microcontrollers in as many weeks.
>Getting an LED to blink juuuust right.
>Figuring out the magic init sequence to harness
>an OLED display that you harvested from a smartphone.
>Convincing embedded Linux to boot on a board
>that a co-worker designed from scratch. Also,
>you changed the MotD to hilarious ASCII art.
>Teaching a dev board to speak Bluetooth so it can introduce itself to an iPad.
>
>As a full-time firmware engineer, you’d be
>tackling tasks like these, personally owning
>anything you’re capable of taking on and working
>in tandem with senior engineers for more complex tasks.
>
>Culture and Environment
>
>MindTribe is a small company. As a result, your
>contributions will have immediate, visible
>impacts not just on projects, but also on the
>success of the entire organization.
>
>Working at MindTribe is being immersed in a
>constant stream of different projects,
>industries, and technologies; learning is
>unavoidable. As a result, not only do we stay
>current in our own fields, we also have ME’s
>developing iOS apps, EE’s driving SolidWorks,
>and FW engineers laying out PCB’s. The only
>pigeonholes around here are the nooks by the
> [...]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.