job_061417a: Robotics Engineer, Tortuga AgTech (Denver, CO)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 12:02:55 -0700

ROBOTICS ENGINEER
Denver, Colorado
Robotics/Full-stack engineering, Full-time

Do you want to build real things and use technology for something
meaningful? Do you want to fight to make the world's fresh produce
healthier, tastier, and more sustainable?

As Robotics Engineer at Tortuga, you'll be core to the development of
our robotic harvesting system from software controllers to path
planning and everything in between. As an early team member, you'll
directly build our success, growth, and culture. You'll bring deep
engineering design and manufacturing expertise while also thriving in
a fast-paced, flexible, and energized startup environment. You'll
hold meaningful equity and are excited to grow your role and
leadership as Tortuga grows.

What you'll do

As Robotics Engineer, you'll be responsible for the
controller-to-action stack.

Responsibilities include:
    * Work directly with the CTO and team to design and execute
commercial engineering solutions
    * Coordinate and communicate within interdisciplinary teams to
design algorithms, implement on prototypes, and troubleshoot field trials
    * Interface with vendors and spec'ing replacement mechanical
systems or controllers if needed
    * Module programming in Python/C++ to integrate creative
solutions to complex path planning and time optimization problems

What we're looking for
    * 2+ years experience in design-to-commercialization of hardware;
automation or robotics preferred
    * B.S. Mechanical/Electrical/Controls Engineering or relevant
degree required
    * M.S. or Ph.D. same fields preferred
    * Deep C++ or Python programming proficiency with an emphasis on
object detection (prior experience with ROS a plus)
    * Startup experience a major plus

About Tortuga

Recruiting contact: <mailto:eric_at_tortugaagtech.com>eric_at_tortugaagtech.com

Tortuga AgTech's mission is to build a healthier society, and a
thriving ecosystem, through smarter farming. We're pursuing our
mission by building robotic harvesting and precision analytics
systems for the world's leading fresh produce growers (delicious
things like strawberries, tomatoes, bell peppers, and herbs). We're
building not just because it's fun, but because we believe
thoughtful, well-built advanced technology can help farmers grow
healthier, fresher, more environmentally sustainable produce for everyone.

Tortuga means "turtle" in Spanish. Around the world, turtles are
symbols of wisdom, patience, and connectedness to the Earth. We're
co-founded by a Stanford MS/BA and Cal MS/PhD. We're proud to be
based in Denver, CO - America's 2nd best place to live according to
U.S. News (but does Austin have any mountains? We still think we're #1).

Tortuga is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment
including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge,
will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital
status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental
disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran
status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.

--
Eric Adamson  |  Co-founder and CEO  |  Tortuga
AgTech  |  <http://www.tortugaagtech.com>www.tortugaagtech.com