job_061118a: Embedded Systems Engineer, Scopi (Stanford)

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 06:41:13 -0700

We are a team that is building a diagnostic medical device for use by
speech therapists in developing countries. Only 12% of clinics
worldwide have access to this essential device due to its high price
and unwieldy design. We have partnered with Smile Train, the world's
largest cleft charity, through the course Design for Extreme
Affordability. Without access to nasoendoscopes like Scopi, patients
spend years in ineffective speech therapy and have delayed language
development. Our current design costs 10% of current equivalent
equipment and is easier for speech therapists and physicians to
use. We're incredibly excited about this project, and think it
fulfills a vital need in providing equal healthcare around the world.
We'd love to have you on the team!

We received funding from Stanford to continue with research and
development of the project through the summer, and we're looking for
an embedded systems or mechatronics engineer to join us! The project
you will be working on is integrating an image sensor with a
microprocessing unit so that the image can be displayed on a computer
or phone. Experience with one or more of the following is helpful:
image sensor hardware, working knowledge of micro controllers, PCB
design, CAD / 3D printing experience, and Lens fixturing.

We are looking for someone to work with us part- or full- time from
mid-July to mid-August. Dates and times are flexible. Please reach
out to us at
<mailto:tresnasos_at_lists.stanford.edu>tresnasos_at_lists.stanford.edu
(Anna, Maya, and Ashwini) or
<mailto:annavonw_at_stanford.edu>annavonw_at_stanford.edu if this sounds
interesting! In your email please tell us about your background, the
amount of time you can commit, and your affiliation to Stanford.

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.