job_081818a: Product Design Engineer, Matician (Palo Alto, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 15:50:16 -0700

Product Design Engineer - Matician (Palo Alto, CA)

About company:
---------------------
There are products that customers think of as
cool in the moment, and then there are products
that customers cannot live without because they
are so incredibly useful. We at Matician are
building the latter because these are the products worth spending our lives on.
We want to solve real, existing problems for
which our customers NEED a great solution.

We believe that sensors and algorithms are
finally good enough to reimagine home devices
from first-principles and reinvent them with
Level-5 autonomy and mobility so our customers
can save time and energy from the mundane tasks inside home.

We're a small team of product fanatics using
product-focused-research techniques to combine
technologies such as vision, ML,
structure-from-motion, and robotics to build and
SHIP products that users love. (No website, as we're keeping a low profile.)

About founders:
--------------------

Matician's founders are 2nd time entrepreneurs:
Navneet Dalal and Mehul Nariyawala. Navneet Dalal
has a PhD in Computer Vision from INRIA Grenoble,
and his PhD thesis was Histogram of Oriented
Gradients focused on detecting objects in images
and videos (the core research now has 25K+
citations). Mehul has an MBA from Booth School of
Business at University of Chicago and has helped
ship numerous computer vision products as a Product Manager.

They were early employees at a startup called
<http://like.com/>Like.com which focused on
facial recognition using CV in 2005 and was acquired by Google in 2010.

Then they started Flutter (YC W12) which focused
on hand-gesture detections via in-built webcams
PCs/phones. Flutter was acquired by Google in
2013 after it quantitatively verified that
Flutter's algorithms beat what Google had inside
at intersection of accuracy and efficiency.

Inside Google, Flutter team helped launch Google
Cardboard thru Google Research. Then team moved
to Nest where Mehul was a Lead PM for Nest Camera
Portfolio and Navneet led the algorithms team.
They helped launch Nest Cam Outdoor with many CV
based features such as person detection from idea
to shipping in 11 months. They also helped
design/conceptualize Nest Cam IQs and Nest Cam
Hello Doorbell before leaving to start Matician.

About role:
--------------

Product Design Engineer to join our early core
team with BS/BEng or MS/MEng with depth in mechatronics/robotics.

We are looking for someone who is:
-- An out-of-box thinker and doer, unafraid of
solving really-hard-problems, and willing to do
whatever it takes to ship extremely useful products.
-- Curious, asks lots of questions & whys,
challenges conventional wisdoms, and doesn’t
shy from contrarian opinions/approaches.
-- Focused on long-term and prizes transformal
vs. transactional ways of doing things. Sees
around the corner and proactively identifies and mitigates long-range risks.
-- A customer fanatic who prefers function,
usefulness, benefits to users primarily and form secondarily.
-- Detailed-oriented and has pride in her work/creation.

You will:
-- Own and lead end-to-end mechanical design,
assembly, test and integration of sensor,
compute, actuation and accompanying power, thermal and cleaning solutions.
-- Collaborate with the team to understand and define product requirements.
Rapidly prototype new concepts for ID, structures, and UX.
-- Make detailed 3D CAD models and 2D drawings of
all parts and assemblies. -- -- Define materials
and seek out off-the-shelf components and systems for the product.
-- Architect and create robust design that exceed
user expectations in terms of performance, aesthetics/quality, and cost.
-- Design around thermal, shock/vibration,
environment, and noise challenges while always
keeping manufacturability in mind.
-- Perform design validation, verification, and
characterization for first prototypes, sub-assemblies, and the final product
-- Perform tolerance analyses to verify
performance of mechanisms and cosmetic
specifications in the presence of high volume dimensional variation.
-- Track design issues and complete trade-off
studies involving weight, cost, timeline, manufacturability, etc.
-- Drive detailed design and 2D documentation of all parts and assemblies.
-- Develop and tune new manufacturing processes,
develop tooling, and design assembly fixtures concepts
-- Define testing requirements, fixtures, and
equipment to qualify the mechanical design and
product assembly for mass production.

Contact: Mehul Nariyawala, <http://mehul_at_matician.com/>mehul_at_matician.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.