job_041019b: Summer Intern - Product Design, Starbucks (Seattle, WA)

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 07:40:54 -0700

  The Tryer Innovation Center at Starbucks is
currently looking to bring on two interns this
summer. At its core, the center is focused on
bringing human-centered design to the way
Starbucks approaches innovation. It is a very
exciting time here at Starbucks, as design
thinking has begun to catch fire at the executive
level and is only growing. In addition, we have
opened a dedicated 20,000 sq ft space in the
corporate office, providing access to all sorts
of resources and facilities (think d.school/PRL hybrid but much, much bigger).

Here is the role description:

Starbucks
Tryer Innovation Center

2019 Summer Co-op program – Seattle, WWA

 From the beginning, Starbucks set out to be a
different kind of company. One that not only
celebrated coffee and its rich tradition, but
that also inspired connection. We are known for
developing and supporting students who share this
passion and are guided by their service to
others. Join us for the summer of 2019 and
immerse yourself in an enduring global company
that values people and fosters innovation. At
Starbucks, we are performance driven, through the
lens of humanity; we strive to create
opportunities with broader impact. Connect with
something bigger and discover your potential as a
participant in the Starbucks Summer Co-op.

Calling all Design Thinkers and Makers

As an innovative, high growth company, Starbucks
is dependent on a world class innovation
organization. Housed within the Starbucks
corporate office near downtown Seattle is a new
20,000 square foot innovation space with the
mission to take ideas from concept to store in
100 days. We are staffed by a dynamic group of
designers and engineers who approach problems by
first talking with people, then ideating, testing
and iterating quickly, with the recognition that
failure is part of the journey and where great ideas are born.

Starbucks summer co-op participants will assist
senior members of the team using the
human-centered design framework to address
various real-world problems at Starbucks.
Projects will include all stages of the design
process, from user interviews to hacked-together
low fidelity models, all the way to
commercialized products and experiences. Our
co-op partners will be comfortable communicating
with other technical disciplines as well as
cross-functional business partners. Our work is
fun but constantly changing, so a flexible
attitude is a must. We are looking for
self-starting, passionate students to join our collaborative team.

Co-op experiences are paid, full time, start in
mid-June and will end mid-September. The location
will be at the Starbucks corporate office in
downtown Seattle. We will provide competitive
compensation and a housing stipend.

We'd love to hear from studentents ts with:
Academic focus on product design/human-centered design
Superior strategic thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills
Interest in experience design as well as product design
Sketching abilities (analog or digital)
Strong rapid prototyping and maker skills (ready
to get your hands dirty in a prototyping, wood or metal shop)
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
Arduino and/or other embedded skills (nice to have)

Co-op Program Qualifications:
Active enrollment in an accredited Product Design
undergraduate or graduate program
A showcase of completed projects and skills
(expressed in whatever medium or format you choose)
Minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0
Those interested should respond to Julie Shryne
(<mailto:jshryne_at_starbucks.com>jshryne_at_starbucks.com)
and Cameron Gilbert
(<mailto:cagilber_at_starbucks.com>cagilber_at_starbucks.com) by 4/19!

About Starbucks
Since 1971, Starbucks Coffee Company has been
committed to ethically sourcing and roasting the
highest quality Arabica coffee in the world.
Today, with stores around the globe, the company
is the premier roaster and retailer of specialty
coffee in the world. Through our unwavering
commitment to excellence and our guiding
principles, we bring the unique Starbucks
Experience to life for every customer through
every cup. To share in the experience, please
visit us in our stores or online at
<http://www.starbucks.com>www.starbucks.com.

Recruiting Guidelines
Starbucks agrees with Stanford's employer recruiting guidelines.
Starbucks is an equal opportunity employer of all
qualified individuals, including minorities,
women, veterans & individuals with disabilities.
Starbucks will consider for employment qualified
applicants with criminal histories in a manner
consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.