job_072919a: Mechanical Design Engineer, Battery Module - TESLA (Palo Alto, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 08:17:03 -0700

The High Voltage Battery Module team at Tesla is
hiring! We are looking for interns (on or off cycle) and full time candidates.

JOB TITLE
Mechanical Design Engineer – Battery Module

THE ROLE
Mechanical Designers on the Battery Module Team
don’t just design things, we make them. The role
requires strong fundamentals, a passion to push
the boundaries of technology and the tenacity to
make your designs successful. Our design
requirements push the limits of physical
possibility, which requires you to be extremely
detail oriented and to hold your designs to the
highest standards of quality and
manufacturability. Our team drives collaboration
with many engineering groups, requiring a team
player mentality. Tesla moves quickly, so being
self-motivated and disciplined is critical. You
must be passionate, but direction changes
quickly, so you must also be resilient. Our
small team makes the batteries for all our
Electric Vehicles and all our Energy Storage Products.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
-Full product design responsibility, from concept
through production launch and ramp
-3D design of complex parts and assemblies
-Advancing product performance while driving down cost and mass
-Developing new technologies, supported with early process development
-Relentless improvement of existing products
-Hands-on prototyping
-Specification definition (dimensional, functional, performance, manufacturing)
-Meticulous release of 2D part and assembly drawings
-Owning basic testing and analysis; supporting advanced testing and analysis
-Root causing test failures and production problems
-Collaboration with other teams inside Tesla
(manufacturing, testing, NPI, supply chain, etc.)
-Close, active supplier relationships
-Travel to support production launch and ramp
(supplier visits, on-site at Tesla factories, etc.)

REQUIREMENTS
-Strong Engineering fundamentals in heat
transfer, fluids, mechanics, and electronics
-Desire to own a lot and work hard - we have small teams and fast timelines
-Demonstrated ability to create products: CAD design to hand on prototyping
-Experience with various manufacturing processes
such as plastic injection molding, metal
stamping, thermoforming, welding/brazing,
plating, heat treating, and bonding. Direct machine shop skills a plus.
-Experience in designing for high volume assembly, both manual and automated
-Experience defining test plans, designing test setups, and analyzing data
-A detail oriented personality with solid documentation and reporting skills.
-Proficiency in CAD modeling. CATIA V5/V6 experience a plus but not mandatory.
-Experience with student Formula Vehicle, Solar Car, Hyperloop etc. a plus.
-Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering, MS a plus.

Here’s an example of some of what we do!
<https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/28/tesla-model-3-battery-pack-cell-teardown-highlights-performance-improvements/>https://cleantechnica.com/2019/01/28/tesla-model-3-battery-pack-cell-teardown-highlights-performance-improvements/

To apply, please email your resume to
<mailto:BatteryDesignCareers_at_tesla.com>BatteryDesignCareers_at_tesla.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.