job_013120a: Mechanical Engineer, KINETIC (New York City, NY)

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 08:35:33 -0800

Mechanical Engineer at KINETIC
New York City, NY

JOB DESCRIPTION
Kinetic is a fast-growing startup building
connected wearable products for the industrial
workforce. Our experienced team is backed by top
tier VCs and insurance companies who share our
passion for making the world a safer and
healthier place. Despite having the most advanced
industrial workforce in the world, millions of US
workers are injured every year and nearly 5,000
die on the job. We're here to make sure that the
workers who physically support our economy get home injury free.

We're looking for a talented entry-level
mechanical engineer who thrives on this mission.
Some of the largest retail, distribution, and
industrial companies in the world use our
product, and you'll play an instrumental role as
we scale up our hardware to match customer
demand. Some days you'll be working with our
suppliers building automated test jigs or
troubleshooting issues on the production floor.
Other days you'll work with our designers to
sketch out and prototype a new product feature or
work on an idea to reduce the part cost for one
of our mechanical subassemblies. You'll get
end-to-end experience from concept to mass
production and be able to see the designs you
worked on out in the field making a real difference.

WHO YOU ARE
- You're able to design manufacturable products
-- you have a good understanding of different
manufacturing processes and materials and can
make the call on what's the most elegant and
cost-effective design solution (with some help from the team of course).
- You have an ability to iterate quickly, from
brainstorm to design to prototype, to get to a
mechanical design that works well.
- You have an eye for design and user experience
-- you're able to keep the end user in mind as
you design easy-to-use product features.

WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Collaborate closely with our suppliers, both
domestic and abroad, to successfully bring parts
and assemblies from concept to production.
- Work with a team of engineers and designers to
quickly ideate, prototype, and test new products and product features.
- Work with our manufacturing partners to improve
our current mechanical designs and get them made
faster, cheaper, and functioning better.
- Create and manage documentation of our
mechanical designs – this includes work
instructiions, bill of materials, drawings, etc.

WHAT YOU'VE DONE
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 1+ years of experience of mechanical design or
in a manufacturing environment. Internships or co-ops will be considered.
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience with
standard manufacturing processes (injection
molding, sheet metal, 3D printing, etc) and common material properties
- Fluency in at least one mechanical CAD software
is a must: Solidwworks, NX, Creo, etc (we use Solidworks)
- A strong work ethic and an ability to work both
independently as well as within a multi-disciplinary group
- Experience with a full product development
cycle for a consumer electronics product is preferred but not required
- Experience with mechatronics projects is also preferred but not required

WHAT WE OFFER
- An opportunity to work with experts across all
different fields, from hardware and software
engineers to data scientists and sales, to make a
big difference in the health and safety of real workers in the field.
- We try hard at building a world-class culture
with past team outings in upstate New York and
Vermont, after work drinks, bowling, and more.
- An amazing open office located close to both
Hudson Yards and Penn Station, in the heart of New York City.
- Medical, ddental, and vision insurance.
- A very generous vacation policy

To apply, send a resume, a few sentences about
yourself, and a simple portfolio highlighting
examples of your work to <mailto:jeff_at_wearkinetic.com>jeff_at_wearkinetic.com.

Please note that this posting is for an immediate
need, so we're looking for those who have already
graduated or are otherwise able to start immediately.

KINETIC agrees to Stanford's employer recruiting guidelines.

Jeff Doong
Director of Hardware, KINETIC
<http://wearkinetic.com>wearkinetic.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.