job_013020b: Research Intern, BCI Mechanical Engineering (PhD) - Facebook - Menlo Park, CA

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 10:59:06 -0800

Research Intern, BCI Mechanical Engineering (PhD)

Facebook Reality Labs is dedicated to the
research and development required to bring
virtual and augmented reality to billions of
people around the world. We have a mechanical
engineering research internship available,
working with our multidisciplinary
Brain-Computer-Interface (BCI) team at Facebook's
Menlo Park office, where we are developing novel
wearable neural interface technologies. Our
internship is sixteen (16) to twenty-four (24)
weeks long and we have various start dates throughout the year.

RESEARCH INTERN, BCI MECHANICAL ENGINEERING (PHD) RESPONSIBILITIES
Rapid prototyping of mechanical components and
systems, including designing in CAD, fabricating,
assembling, and integrating into a system
Characterization of biomechanical, mechanical, and opto-mechanical systems

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining,
a PhD degree in the field of of mechanical engineering or related discipline
2+ years of mechanical design/prototyping experience
Experience with data acquisition and analysis in Python
Experience with mechanical CAD tools such as NX or Solidworks
Experience across a range of manufacturing
techniques (machining, 3D printing, silicone molding, etc.)
Must obtain work authorization in country of
employment at the time of hire, and maintain
ongoing work authorization during employment

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Intent to return to degree-program after the completion of the internship/co-op
Experience working with soft goods or biomechanical systems
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to
build community and bring the world closer
together. Through our family of apps and
services, we're building a different kind of
company that connects billions of people around
the world, gives them ways to share what matters
most to them, and helps bring people closer
together. Whether we're creating new products or
helping a small business expand its reach, people
at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global
teams are constantly iterating, solving problems,
and working together to empower people around the
world to build community and connect in
meaningful ways. Together, we can help people
build stronger communities ­ we're just getting started.
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable
accommodations for qualified individuals with
disabilities and disabled veterans in our job
application procedures. If you need assistance or
an accommodation due to a disability, you may
contact us at <mailto:accommodations-ext_at_fb.com>accommodations-ext_at_fb.com .

Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.