job_06-14-11a: Embedded Software Engineer, Adept Technology (Pleasanton, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 06:23:24 -0700

Embedded Software Engineer Position

Adept Technology, Inc. is a global, leading
provider of intelligent vision-guided robotics
systems and services. Adept systems provide
unmatched performance and economic value
throughout the production lifecycle, enabling
customers to achieve precision, quality and
productivity in their assembly, handling and
packaging processes. Adept is currently seeking a
Software Engineer to join the Software engineering team in Pleasanton, CA.

1. Implement embedded software for our robot
controllers (eV+ language and servo code)
2. Specify, design, and implement functionality
and behaviors of embedded robotic subsystems.
3. Design, implement and maintain drivers for
controller peripherals (serial ports, USB, I2C,
Ethernet, FireWire, SD Card, Force Sensor…).
4. Support existing products
5. Write Unit Tests for implemented features
6. Participate in product architecture design.

A successful candidate will be expected to
contribute positively to the development efforts
in the embedded software team, implement key
features in eV+ and have the ability to solve
problems through solid debugging techniques.
He/she will report to the Director of Embedded
Software and must be capable of working with a
distributed and international software team, with
electrical engineers and technicians and other
teams. He/she will also work with Applications Engineers.
QUALIFICATIONS:
Required:
- Proven track record of delivering
high-quality, efficient and portable C/C++ code
in a real-time embedded environment.
- Familiar with the embedded
microprocessor design process: compilers,
debuggers, IDE and source code control.
- Fluent in software fundamentals
including software design, algorithm development,
data structures, code modularity and maintainability.
- Strong knowledge of object oriented design.
- Must understand quickly and be precise in implementation.
- Passionate about implementing
technical innovations to improve our customer’s experience.
Desirable:
- Knowledge of communication protocols,
Ethernet, TCP/IP, FireWire, I2C, USB, CAN…
- Knowledge of Linux, POSIX API,
off-the-shelf RTOS, the GNU tool chain.
- Experience with Agile or Scrum methodology.
- Knowledge of robotics, trajectory
generation, servo algorithm, motor control, Motorola 68k assembly is a plus
- Interest for the physical world as
opposed to just the digital world.
OTHER: Willing to travel occasionally
domestically and internationally (2 weeks / quarter). Fluent in English.
EDUCATION: At least 3 years of experience in
embedded software development MS or PhD in
Computer Science or Electrical Engineering or related field.

Contact:
Alexandre Haag
Director Embedded Software
<mailto:alexandre.haag_at_adept.com>alexandre.haag_at_adept.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at
http://design.stanford.edu/archive/ (the
archive is not working right now - we hope to have it fixed soon)

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.