job_020312a: Director of Product Design, Driptech (Pune, India)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 14:10:04 -0800

link to post:
<http://blog.driptech.com/2012/01/job-posting-director-of-product-design.html>http://blog.driptech.com/2012/01/job-posting-director-of-product-design.html

Job Posting: Director of Product Design
Location: Pune, India

Come join Driptech, a for-profit, impact-focused, high-visibility
startup selected as a 2012 Technology Pioneer by the World Economic
Forum, named by BusinessWeek as one of the world's most intriguing new
companies, and voted by its readers as one of the top 5 most promising
social ventures in America.

Driptech is laser-focused on making affordable irrigation technologies
for small-plot farmers in developing countries. Our early-stage,
VC-funded, Mountain View-based venture is scaling up for high-volume
commercial rollouts in India and China. By joining the Driptech team
you will be part of a compelling social venture that aims to produce a
global impact.

Driptech is seeking a Director of Product Design, based in our India
office. This position requires the desire and ability to lead
Driptech's product development efforts for our affordable irrigation
systems. It will require demonstrated design skills, engineering and
manufacturing experience, and leadership at all phases of the product
development process. This role will manage an international team, and
must have a track record of outstanding project successes.

The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated process for discovering
insight, success developing physical products, and experience on
projects involving rural communities or in regions of economic
development. Most importantly, the position requires standout
leadership skills, and the ability to coordinate, motivate, and
energize a multi-disciplinary team.

Responsibilities:
1. Lead new product design efforts for affordable irrigation equipment
and accessories
2. Perform need-finding, and on-site customer observations in a number
of agricultural communities in India
3. Distill insights from field research and customer feedback. Propose
product development initiatives based on these insights
4. Design, develop, and test components for affordable irrigation
systems, including tubing fittings, fertilizer equipment, pumps, water
storage systems, and installation tools
5. Develop CAD, prototype ideas, and coordinate design efforts with
the technical development team in California, and the operations team
in China
6. Work with external designers and engineers when necessary
7. Infuse design-thinking culture among Driptech team-members,
particularly in areas of need-finding, points of view, brainstorming,
and hands-on prototyping
8. Report to the Founder and CEO, work closely with the rest of the
global management team

Background and Skills:
Demonstrated success leading a team through a successful product launch
3+ years managing teams
5+ years of design experience
Ability to be based in Pune, India and travel to California and
China 30% of the time
Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills
A portfolio demonstrating successful delivery of affordable and
appropriate solutions, and participation at many stages of the design
process
Design For Manufacturability, and experience with high volume
manufacturing methods

Desired Extras:
1. Experience living and/or traveling independently abroad
2. Prior experience in India
3. Indian language capabilities
4. A passion for addressing the needs of small-plot farmers
5. Graphic design experience with marketing and promotional materials
6. Skills in photography and video as media for documentation

Compensation:

Driptech offers competitive salary and benefits packages commensurate
with our funding stage. We will also make available support for
relocation to Pune, India.

How to Apply: Please submit your cover letter, resume, and portfolio
to <mailto:jobs_at_driptech.com>jobs_at_driptech.com with "Director of
Product Design" in the subject.

To learn more about Driptech, please visit our website at
<http://www.driptech.com/>www.driptech.com

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://design.stanford.edu/archive/

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.