job_010813b: Prototype Shop Manager, Alloy Product Development (San Francisco, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:39:36 -0800

Position: Full Time Prototype Shop Manager
Company: Alloy Product Development, Inc.
Location: Downtown San Francisco, CA
Contact: resumes_at_alloypd.com

Alloy Product Development is a consulting firm focused on the mechanical
engineering of consumer electronics, household goods, professional
equipment, and medical devices. We are a selective group of 15+ mechanical
engineers looking for people who take pride in doing fantastic work and
strive to constantly refine their professional skills.

We have recently expanded into a new office with a 1000+ sq-ft prototype
shop that is in the process of being built-out. We are looking for a
well-rounded, hands-on shop manager who can take over the build-out, keep
the shop organized, run CAM software, assist the engineers, and enforce
safety. The primary purpose of the shop is for modification of parts
ordered from larger shops, assembly/debug of prototypes, and fabrication
of simple or time-sensitive parts.

Specific job responsibilities to include:
- Ongoing planning of shop build-out including floor plan, machine/tool
selection, ventilation, etc.
- Ongoing organization and maintenance of a clean, safe, and efficient
shop
- Implementation of OSHA safety standards
- Primary operator of a Tormach PCNC 1100 using basic CAM software
- Assisting the engineers in the use of the shop equipment and with
prototype builds
- Order materials and hardware to keep the shop well stocked
- Assist in outsourcing parts to our network of prototype vendors
- Fabrication of simple parts or molds
- Flexible schedule to help out with tight deadlines

Qualifications:
- 5+ years experience doing all of the above in a professional machine
shop
- Great attention to detail and time management skills
- Ability to work well with small parts
- Knowledge of OSHA safety standards
- Basic CAD modeling and 2D drawings kills, preferably Pro/Engineer (now
Creo)

Bonus qualifications include:
- Prior consultancy experience
- Mechatronics/robotics/electronics experience
- Sheet-metal fabrication experience

Domestic applicants only. No paid relocation.

Compensation: Competitive Salary, insurance benefits, bonus,
profit-sharing

Company Description: Founded in 2008 by two Stanford grads, Alloy Product
Development takes client's ideas from concept to production. We follow a
methodology of Conceive-Execute-Communicate, and believe that the
application of sound engineering principles is often the difference
between a class-leading product and the rest of the pack.

Specialties include: Mechanical Concept Development, Analysis, Industrial
Design Integration, Detailed Mechanical Design for Manufacturing, Vendor
Liaison.

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://design.stanford.edu/archive/

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.