job_071113a: Firmware Engineer, Tesla Motors (Palo Alto, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:54:48 -0700

Contact info : Georgina Salamy, Recruiter
                         <mailto:gsalamy_at_teslamotors.com>gsalamy_at_teslamotors.com

Firmware Engineer - Body Controls Group

About Tesla

Palo Alto, California-based, Tesla Motors uses proprietary
technology, world-class design, and state-of-the-art manufacturing
processes to create a new generation of highway capable electric
vehicles. We utilize an innovative distribution model based on
Company-owned sales and service centers. This approach allows us to
maintain the highest levels of customer experience and benefit from
short customer feedback loops to ensure our customer needs are
fulfilled. We believe our operational infrastructure provides us with
a competitive advantage compared to traditional automobile manufacturers.

The Role

We are looking for a highly motivated individual to design and
implement firmware designs specifically for vehicle body controls.
Reporting to the Body Controls Firmware Manager, the firmware
engineer will belong in a team dedicated to designing and
implementing body controls for the next generation Tesla vehicles.
The right candidate will be highly organized and confident with an
ability to implement requirements for projects within set deadlines,
as well as assisting the body controls team with a range of
activities. You will also be cooperating with the body controls
hardware team as well as other departments in order to achieve a
successful outcome. This full time role requires the flexibility of
being able to support the development team out-of-hours when necessary.

Responsibilities

Determine functional feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem
definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation,
flowcharts, state machines, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
Prepare and implement solutions by determining and designing system
specifications, standards, and programming.
Improve operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending
changes in policies and procedures.
Update job knowledge by keeping up to date with development tools,
programming techniques, and development equipment; participating in
educational opportunities; reading professional publications,
maintaining personal networks.
Provide information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing
development and service issues.
Accomplish engineering and departmental goals by completing related
objectives as needed.
Develop firmware solutions by studying information needs; conferring
with the team; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes;
investigating problem areas; following the firmware development lifecycle.
Develop a secure interface to the vehicle, including immobilizer
functionality, entry security, user identification and ECU security.

  Requirements

Degree in Software / Electrical Engineering and with experience
working with embedded systems
Design of embedded systems written primarily in the C language
Experience in writing and understanding technical specifications
Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work in an extremely fast-paced
environment.
Experienced real-time design
Security algorithms, cryptography etc, wireless technologies,
specifically LF, RF, Bluetooth / BLE

Tesla Motors is committed to a policy of equal employment
opportunity. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote
without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status,
religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran
status, present or past history of mental disability, genetic
information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.