job_071213b: Staff Engineer - Research Instrumentation, Harvard Medical School (Boston, MA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 12:23:33 -0700

>>Staff Engineer - Research Instrumentation
>>Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
>>
>>Duties & Responsibilities:
>>The newly established Research Instrumentation
>>Core at Harvard Medical School is looking for a
>>creative and energetic staff member to join a
>>small multidisciplinary team. The core works
>>directly with biologists to support and expand
>>their research capabilities. The mission of the
>>core is to (1) design and fabricate custom
>>instrumentation for biomedical research, (2)
>>help train researchers in the process of design
>>and fabrication, and (3) advise researchers in
>>how to develop novel applications for both
>>custom and commercial instrumentation.
>>
>>Characteristic duties of the Staff Engineer include:
>> • conducting one-on-one consultations with researchers;
>> • designing and fabricating
>> electronic, mechanical and optical instruments and software interfaces;
>> • communicating with vendors and
>> coordinating jobs with outside service providers;
>> • documenting projects and
>> communicating project progress to the user community;
>> • planning and leading training
>> sessions with researchers as needed.
>>
>>Basic Qualifications:
>>Bachelor's Degree or equivalent and 4+ years of related experience.
>>Demonstrated experience in the design and
>>prototyping of electronic, optical, and mechanical devices.
>>
>>Additional Qualifications:
>>We are especially interested in candidates with:
>> • an advanced degree in science or engineering
>> • proficiency in LabView and/or Matlab
>> • programming experience in other languages (e.g., C, Java, Python)
>> • work experience in biomedical
>> research and/or an academic science environment
>> • demonstrated experience teaching or
>> training in an informal setting
>>
>>The successful candidate will be
>>self-motivated, innovative, and enjoy working
>>in a dynamic and intellectually stimulating
>>environment. S/he will be skilled at
>>translating research problems into well-defined
>>technical specifications and then designing and
>>building a working instrument; s/he will have
>>excellent interpersonal skills; enthusiasm for
>>collaborating closely with biologists;
>>programming skills; experience in designing and
>>assembling digital and analog electronic
>>devices (embedded microcontrollers, digital
>>logic, analog amplifiers, etc.); the ability to
>>write clearly for a broad audience.
>>
>>For the complete job posting and online application form:
>>https://jobs.brassring.com/1033/asp/tg/cim_jobdetail.asp?partnerID=25240&siteID=5341&AReq=29785BR

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.