job_061714b: Mechanical Engineer, ploom (San Francisco, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 12:53:51 -0700

>About Us:
>
>Ploom is an upstart tobacco product company based in San Francisco.
>The original idea came out of the Stanford Design program as part of
>our founders' graduate thesis. We are a product startup intent on
>bringing rapid change to the old tobacco industry. The WHO recently
>reported that 1 billion people could die from smoking by the end of
>this century. Public policy and other control efforts have met
>limited success. Through a deep understanding of consumer needs,
>proprietary technologies, and intelligent business strategy we have
>developed more compelling, radically different solutions.
>
>Responsibilities:
>
>Design new products that are innovative, cost efficient, reliable,
>and ship on schedule. Troubleshoot and make improvements to existing
>products. Work closely with other members of the engineering staff
>to create optimal solutions to difficult design, structural,
>thermal, and battery life issues. Sketch and prototype new ideas. Be
>familiar with engineering best practices, concepts and procedures.
>May lead and direct the work of others.
>
>Requirements:
>A mechanical engineer with an undergraduate engineering degree, and
>2-5 years related engineering experience
>Highly mechanically inclined
>Loves to build and test things
>Sensitive to industrial design and ergonomic issues
>Proficient in Solidworks
>An upbeat, hard worker who can communicate ideas effectively through
>sketching and prototyping
>Comfortable in an unstructured startup environment
>Creative problem-solving ability
>Some international travel may be required
>Bonus Points:
>Graduate level engineering degree
>High-volume manufacturing design experience (injection molding,
>die-casting, aluminum extrusion, etc.)
>DFM/DFA experience
>FMEA experience
>Labview experience
>Perks:
>A work hard/play hard environment surrounded by smart people with a
>broad base of experience
>To see your work help shape a radical new product that makes a
>difference for likely millions of people
>Fair compensation commensurate with experience; stock options
>No cubicles

Potential applicants should communicate directly with the contact
listed in the posting. Please do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list contains several
distribution lists: Design grad students, ME310 alumni, ME218
alumni, ME jobs list, etc. Members of multiple lists will receive
multiple copies of postings. Please excuse the duplication. Thank you.