job_070716b: Changemaker Campus Director_Ashoka U (Washington, DC)

From: Kristin Burns <kristin.burns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 06:44:58 -0700

Title: Changemaker Campus Director

Hiring through: ReWork

Location: Washington, DC

Type: Full Time

Min Experience: Mid Level

ABOUT ASHOKA

<https://www.ashoka.org/>Ashoka invests in people
who see the world not as it is, but as it could
be; who seek to change a broken system instead of
letting it continue. We call them social
entrepreneurs, and over the past 35 years, we
have supported more than 3,000 Ashoka Fellows as
leading social entrepreneurs in 70 countries.

Our work is based on a fundamental insight:
Behind every social innovation, there are human
beings. Supporting the best of them, and
connecting them with a network of peers, is the
most effective way to bring about social change.

Our vision is a world where everyone is a
changemaker – a world where everyone has the
skill and confidence to drive social change, and
is committed to the good of all.

Changemaking is a way of being, including being
empathetic and thoughtful, being curious and
creative, and being resilient to make life better
for yourself and your family, friends, community,
humanity, and the planet. Becoming a changemaker,
then, is a process of becoming equipped with and
inclined to use a sophisticated worldview and
complex array of changemaking skills.

ABOUT ASHOKA U

Higher education offers the ideal platform for
changemaking. Yet within colleges and
universities, silos between different divisions
and outdated educational methodologies have
resulted a lack of clarity for students seeking
to learn how to effectively contribute to social
change. As a result, students may never get
involved; or they may move too quickly, proposing
new innovations without fully understanding the
context or the existing players.

<http://ashokau.org/>Ashoka U, founded in 2008
and serving as Ashoka’s University initiative,
seeks to address this challenge by collaborating
with colleges and universities to break down
barriers to institutional change and foster a
campus-wide culture of social innovation. As a
result, we aim to impact the education of
millions of students to build their skillsets and
self-identity as changemakers.

To date, Ashoka U has designated 37
<http://ashokau.org/programs/changemaker-campus/>Changemaker
Campuses across seven countries to set the
standard for social innovation in higher
education. We connect a powerful global peer
network of over 150 colleges and universities
representing 30 countries at the annual
<http://ashokau.org/exchange/>Ashoka U Exchange,
the premier gathering for social innovation
educators, and through the
<http://ashokau.org/commons/>Ashoka U Commons, a
virtual accelerator for changemaking education.

The end goal? To shift higher education, from
more traditional to more innovative and
entrepreneurial, while demonstrating that social
innovation and changemaking will more effectively
prepare students for today’s world and equip
higher education to solve global challenges
through action and engagement. In short, we’re
out to create an entirely new model. Instead of
starting from scratch, we work in collaboration
with the system to change the system.

YOUR ROLE: CHANGEMAKER CAMPUS DIRECTOR

You will join our team at a critical moment as we
grow and expand the impact of Changemaker Campus.
As the leading designation in social innovation
in higher education in the world, the Changemaker
Campus program now includes a robust selection
process, an active network of Change Leaders and
a renewal process to ensure continued excellence
and leadership. The Director will lead the
selection process to identify prospective
Changemaker Campuses in new markets and networks,
develop a strategy to unleash the power of those
already in the Changemaker Campus Network, and
engage high quality thought-leaders as partners
and allies in changing the future of higher education.

SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES:

Strategy and External Leadership

· Connect Ashoka U Changemaker Campus
strategy with Ashoka’s global Everyone a Changemaker vision and objectives.

· Develop the long-term strategy for
Changemaker Campus. Provide insights about the
future direction of Ashoka U and set targets for
Changemaker Campus growth and improvement for the next 3-5 years.

· Serve as the lead, external
representative of Changemaker Campus in higher
education conferences, to funders, to the
Changemaker Campus Network and key institutional stakeholders.

· Develop relationships with top tier
institutions, networks, and associations to
assist with Selection of top institutions and to
provide value to the Changemaker Campus consortium.

· Serve as a thought leader by keeping a
pulse on field-level trends, ensuring Changemaker
Campus alignment and positioning.

· Actively recruit institutions to join
the network by curating relationships with additional advanced institutions.

· Brainstorm, develop, and test pilot
revenue models to ensure collaborative projects
are continually advanced without becoming financially unsustainable.

· Forge “win-win” partnerships across
Ashoka’s global programs and country offices to
benefit both Changemaker Campuses and Ashoka strategic priorities.

· Curate and lead the annual President’s
track at the Exchange, engaging 25 Presidents,
Provosts, and Trustees in Ashoka’s vision of an Everyone a Changemaker world.

Team Leadership and Sustainability

· Lead the culture, growth, performance
evaluation and professional development of the
Changemaker Campus Team, including a Selection
Manager, Network Manager, and Renewal Manager,
and ensure they are fully empowered to succeed in their roles.

· Lead the financial security and sustainability of Changemaker Campus.

· Set clear goals, metrics and
deliverables for the Changemaker Campus team.

· Ensure that all target deliverables for
Selection, Network, and Renewal are appropriately
managed and met, and that timelines are on track
to hit all future deliverables and financial targets.

Adapt Changemaker Campus for New Markets

· Gather and build buy-in from the
Changemaker Campus network to support expansion
of the network into international and under-represented markets.

· Lead the adaptation and expansion for
international audiences, overseeing the work with
global staff and potential new hires in other geographic regions.

· Lead the adaptation of Changemaker
Campus language, examples and value-for
under-represented institutional types both domestically and internationally.

· Develop clear criteria around which
institutions Changemaker Campus will work with,
and processes for ensuring that only institutions
who are strategic are engaged.

WHO YOU ARE:

· Entrepreneurial.

· ...you’re industrious and can do a lot
with a little. You’ve been around the block with
about 8-15 years of revenue generating or other
relevant experience, and you hold the ability to
not only set the vision for something new, but to also grow it from zero.

· Higher Ed Savvy.

· ...you have experience, and ideally
expertise, in higher education. You’ve worked
with student leaders or institutions, and know
how to navigate institutional change.

· Opportunistic.

· ...you leverage opportunities. Your ideas
shoot off like rocket fire and you can imagine possibilities left and right.

· A Thought Leader.

· …you keep a pulse on field-level trends
and have published thought leadership pieces.

· Poised & Adaptable.

· ...you are comfortable with ambiguity and
know how to make decisions without perfect information.

· Mission-aligned.

· ...you are deeply passionate about our
mission. Impact comes first to you and you are
relationship-oriented before profit-oriented.

· Articulate & Sharp.

· you have a reputation for being
particularly well-sppoken, well-informed, and
well-prepared for every encounter.

THE TEAM

As part of our Ashoka global team-of-teams, you
will interact with the executive leadership team
and entrepreneurial staff from around the world
who are working on a variety of different issue
areas. As a senior member of the Ashoka U team,
you will work directly with colleagues who bring
more than a decade of experience in developing
the field of social innovation in higher
education. As the Changemaker Campus Director,
you will join a Selection Manager, Renewal
Manager and Network Manager in the DC office, as
well as two international team members in Mexico
and Canada. As a dynamic and growing team, we
will be hiring additional members over the course of the year.

THINK THIS IS THE RIGHT OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU?

Please complete a quick application to the role
of Changemaker Campus Director at Ashoka U
through this link - <http://bit.ly/29lvifD>here.
The application deadline is on WEDNESDAY, JULY
13TH, 2016; therefore we encourage you to submit yours soon!

The application will be a 2-part process. If your
background and experience align, you will be
asked to complete a short-answer questionnaire
designed to replace a cover letter. Please take
your time with them and copy in your answers from a separate document.

Next, if you are chosen as a finalist, you will
be interviewed directly by the Ashoka team. Our
target start date will ideally be August 1.

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU'RE SELECTED AS THE NEW CHANGEMAKER CAMPUS DIRECTOR?

You'll be invited to join our team in our offices
near the beautiful Potomac River in Washington,
DC! If you have any questions about the role,
please feel free to email us at
<mailto:talent_at_rework.jobs>talent_at_rework.jobs.

Kristin Burns
Group Manager
Mechanical Engineering Design
Stanford University, Bldg 550 Rm 153