job_112018a: Senior Mechanical Engineer, Bolt (San Francisco, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 09:55:29 -0800

SENIOR MECHANICAL ENGINEER - San Francisco, CA

Bolt is a venture capital firm that invests at
the intersection of hardware and software. Our
full-stack engineering team and multi-million
dollar prototyping shops enable entrepreneurs to
succeed faster and with less capital. We are
seeking a full-time mechanical engineer to join us in our San Francisco office.

We are a fast-paced, dynamic environment where
it's not unusual to work on many different
products in a given day. Our work covers the
entire product development process including
conceptual exploration, hands-on prototyping,
engineering analysis, and working with contract
manufacturers. As a candidate for this role, you
must thrive working in this environment and through the entire process.

This is a perfect role for a seasoned engineer
who has shipped generations of products to apply
their knowledge in a highly leveraged position
across many products and industries.

Like all of our team, this role is highly
autonomous and demanding, often with odd hours
and a high degree of flexibility in both scope and time.

A Typical Day May Include

• Working closely with Bolt's industrial designer
and mechanical, electrical, and prototyping
engineers to refine the design of a knee-rehabilitation device
• Building prototype parts and test equipment in
the machinee shop for a device that detects childhood asthma
• Whiteboarding manufacturing and assembly ideas
for mass prodduction of a blood-collecting health product
• Designing and analyzing injection molded,
extruded, machined, casst, welded sheet metal,
and purchased components for a new type of home exercise equipment
• Helping set gooals for the next six months of
development for a portfolio company that makes an
outdoor vegetable-growing system
- Validating the cost targets of high-volume
production for the product assembly of a retail-analytics product
- Meeting with a potential new portfolio company
and determine if their device/system is feasible
to build, both from the product and business standpoint
• Helping a team of threee engineers interview
and hire an industrial designer and ensure that
that person integrates into the team
• Atttending a meetup in the evening to discuss
product development and investment with many hardware startups

Qualifications
• Sttrong technical background including a BS or
MS in Mechanical Engineering or similar
• Five or more years of experiennce in a design
engineering role, ideally having worked with many
types of products and through at least one full product-development cycle
• Holistic product design experience, driving
ssystem architecture, considering user and cross
functional engineering tradeoffs
• Expertise in component and asssembly design,
including tolerance analysis and DFM
• Expertise in CAD (we typically use SolidWorks)
<
• Experience scouting vendors and qualifying
quality proototype and mass production parts
• Comforrtable working in a machine shop, on 3D
printers, with laser cutters, etc.
• Familiarity with reliability testing andd failure analysis
• Able to understand annd learn a wide variety of
technologies and markets quickly
• A desire to learn more about the startup/venture capitaal environment
• Excellent written and oraal communication skills
• Highly organizedd, inquisitive, and probing
• Nice to havve
• FEA experience - structural, thermal, etc<
• Assembly fixture design experience

This is a full-time role in San Francisco. Bolt
also has offices in Boston, and occasional travel
there and to other domestic and international
destinations will be required. Can start immediately.

More about Bolt

Bolt is a venture capital firm designed to
address the unique needs of early-stage startups
at the intersection of hardware and software.
Bolt has $82M under management and focuses on
pre-seed and seed-stage companies. In addition to
capital, our portfolio companies get support from
Bolt's world-class engineering team, access to
cutting-edge prototyping shops in San Francisco
and Boston, and help with manufacturing.

Perks

• 24x7 access to a world-class protootyping shop
• Immersed at the forefront oof hardware and connected device startups
• Flexible vacation policy
• Full mediccal and dental insurance
• 401(k) with empployer matching

Contact
Tyler Mincey - <mailto:tyler_at_bolt.io>tyler_at_bolt.io
Or apply directly at
<https://bolt.breezy.hr/p/2af3206f6e9a-mechanical-engineer>https://bolt.breezy.hr/p/2af3206f6e9a-mechanical-engineer

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.