job_041420a: Senior/Principal Product Development Engineer (Mechanical, Robotics), Neptune Medical (Burlingame, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 17:50:10 -0700

TITLE: Senior/Principal Product Development Engineer (Mechanical, Robotics)

SUMMARY
Neptune Medical is a lean and innovative Silicon
Valley start-up commercializing high clinical
value devices for gastroenterology, structural
heart and robotics. We are seeking a compelling
candidate who can help us extend the fundamental
technology we have invented into new clinical
areas (particularly robotics) and, ultimately,
products that make a profound difference in people’s lives.

The ideal candidate would show a high level of
individual responsibility and would act with
passion and intensity in a VC-funded medical
device start-up. This is a highly inventive and
challenging role doing truly groundbreaking work in the medical device space.

JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
***Inventing, designing, building, testing and
iterating medical device hardware. We have some
challenging problems to work on!
***Thinking flexibly and creatively about the
problems you are trying to solve and figuring out a way forward.
***Creating manufacturing methods that are
developed, characterized, bounded and repeatable.
***Developing test methods, protocols, reports
and conclusions to evaluate components and processes.
***Working closely with clinicians and clinical
marketing to understand clinical needs that lead
to product specifications and risk analyses.
***Filing invention disclosures and working with
our IP firm to get inventions patented.
***Working well within the confines of a
regulated, quality-system driven, medical device environment.
***Showing a high degree of self-direction.

ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
***B.S. or M.S. in Mechanical
Engineering. Related degrees are acceptable, but
you should be able to convince us that you are
very competent doing what a mechatronic/robotic engineer does.
***5-20 years of work experience as a hands-on
product development engineer. We’d like to see
that you have designed and built some hardware!
***Medical device experience preferred but not required.
***A willingness to work hard, with a driven
outlook and with a strong desire to succeed as an
engineer, as a team, and as a company.
***An inventive aptitude balanced with discipline and detail-orientation.

HIGHLY DESIRABLE SKILLS:
***Knowledge of catheter design principles,
including issues of deliverability, tip steering, etc.
***Developed products from invention to market release. Give us some examples!
***Experience in a start-up environment wearing
multiple hats. What is the best part of start-ups for you? What is the worst?
***Experience creating and managing schedules,
budgets, and plans. Give us an example!
***Experience with industrial design and product
design. Have you worked on issues such as
usability, need finding and product appearance?
***Proficient with Onshape or SolidWorks.
***Strong clinical background with a thorough
knowledge of anatomy and disease, exposure to
doctors, and surgical procedure development. Do
your current professional contacts include MDs?
***Experience with medical device quality
systems, V&V studies and regulatory filings.
***Experience with medical device manufacturing.
***Particular expertise in the area of materials
- including polymers - is desirable.
***Made significant contributions to an IP
portfolio. Can you cite any pending or issued patents?

PLEASE SEND US:
***A SHORT cover letter showing us that you have
read this and are responding to our needs. This
really matters! Tell us, BRIEFLY, why you could be great in this role.
***Your resume.
***Some samples of your work. This could be a
link to a website, a portfolio in PDF or word,
some JPGs or whatever you think can give us a sense for what you have done.
***Send to:
<mailto:hiring_at_neptunemedical.com>hiring_at_neptunemedical.com
or apply online at Linkedin
***We are located in Burlingame, California close
to the Millbrae BART/Caltrain station.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Potential applicants should communicate directly
with the contact listed in the posting. Please
do not "reply" to the posting messages.

Job postings are archived at http://www-design.stanford.edu/~ddivjobs/

Note: The job postings distribution list
contains several distribution lists: Design grad
students, ME310 alumni, ME218 alumni, ME jobs
list, etc. Members of multiple lists will
receive multiple copies of postings. Please
excuse the duplication. Thank you.