job_061121a: Mechanical Design and Prototyping summer role, Freshbot (San Jose, CA)

From: Kristin Burns <kburns_at_stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:33:41 +0000

Freshbot agrees with Stanford's employer recruiting guidelines.

Freshbot: mechanical design and prototyping summer role

Freshbot is an early stage food robotics company on a mission to make fresh healthy food more accessible than fast food. We will accomplish this through our automated kiosks that prepare food to order and can be placed in all kinds of venues, like Redbox for real food. This kiosk design serves a variety of "healthy food in a cup" offerings.

We are in the process of testing our current prototype and designing the “V1” kiosk, which will be the first version of the kiosk to be deployed for extended periods without an attendant. A number of aspects of the machine and mechanical subsystems still need to be prototyped, including a robotic blending process, automatic cleaning process, powder dispensing process, and kiosk refilling process. We would like to work with a mechanically gifted product design engineer to apply the Stanford product design methodology and flesh out promising alternatives for one or more of these systems.

This will include :

  * Quickly coming up to speed on the product and technology, identifying design constraints, and developing product requirements
  * Brainstorming and presenting various alternatives
  * Prototyping various approaches at low fidelity
  * Prototyping and testing one or more at medium fidelity (A functioning electromechanical assembly potentially comprising stock, custom machined, and 3D printed parts)

The subsystem should be designed with a view to high reliability in machine operating conditions and within a holistic perspective of the kiosk and its experience (ordering, cleaning, maintenance, repair, etc.). Our goal is for the outcome of the project to be useful for Freshbot and provide meaningful experience that would translate well to your resume.

Candidate: You are a highly proficient designer with a keen interest in and aptitude for creating mechanisms and physical products. To be successful in this role, you ideally have training/experience in the following:

  * Good understanding of design process (diverge/converge, prototyping at appropriate level of fidelity, etc.)
  * Strong mechanical intuition and physical prototyping proficiency (3D printing, machining, laser cutting, assembling and testing)
  * Electronics prototyping proficiency (Arduino, motors, sensors)
  * Solid Solidworks proficiency
  * Experience designing parts and drawings for machining
  * Excellent communication skills (written & verbal)
  * Be a self-starter capable of both working independently and taking direction and coaching

We are currently envisioning this as a half time role for 2-3 months, but would be open to flexing the hours / timeline if needed.

If interested, please email your resume and portfolio to: peter_at_freshbot.co<mailto:peter_at_freshbot.co>